Uronema marinum

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, May 8, 2016.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor

Uronema marinum:

Symptoms - These are the red sores often seen on chromis damsels. The disease seems mostly confined to damsels and clownfish, but I have seen some exceptions to that.

Treatment options - This is a very difficult disease to treat. Possible treatment options include: Metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex), acriflavine (ex. Acriflavine-MS), Chloroquine phosphate and copper. The problem is the fish can never be returned to the infected tank from which it came. Uronema is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. So, going fallow will not eradicate it. Most fish seem protected from it via their natural immune system; but for some reason, chromis and some other fish are not always afforded this protection. Once a tank has Uronema, it must be assumed that the disease can survive in there almost indefinitely.

Formalin bath or freshwater dip may provide temporary relief for Uronema.

EDIT: A fish infected with uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Tags:

2. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Great info!

Chiefmaster30 and Humblefish like this.
  3. Duke4Life

Duke4Life Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS R2R Supporter

Came across this looking for other info. Never having used any of the meds mentioned but also knowing enough that you shouldn't use them with live rock. What about the live rock and corals in a tank that has this? This seems like 1 of the worse diseases.

Chiefmaster30 likes this.
  4. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor

Metro might eradicate the disease in a DT and there are reports that metro can be reef safe. I'm not certain of either, however.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer likes this.
  5. Duke4Life

Let's take the not reef safe route. Since there is no fallow period, how would you rid the possibility of any hitchiking on coral and live rock? Curiosity setting in.

6. Duke4Life

Oops hit the button twice.

7. BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic GO BLUE!

Its a shame that there is only one way to test this theory. Not a happy ending if the theory is disproven

Duke4Life likes this.
  8. Humblefish

It's being tested to treat dinos in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-dinos-a-possible-cure-follow-along-and-see.253917/

But I'm still hesitant to declare it "reef safe" as metro will target anaerobic bacteria, and could thus eradicate anaerobic regions of a DT. This would probably only be a threat to systems which utilize a DSB for filtration. Plenums also encourage anaerobic areas. I'm sure deep inside rock, anaerobic bacteria exists, but aerobic bacteria near the surface probably provides the bulk of biological filtration.

9. BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic GO BLUE!

I assume it would come to a point where finding the neccessary dose to iraadicate this disease, and if thay much os safe in the dt

10. Congaken

Congaken Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Catskill Reef Member

Meredith or Humble...my young lattice bf has a red spot right before the beginning of his right pectoral...he seems normal in every way, eating, swimming, etc...should I jump to meds ... I have ParaGuard on hand, can get metronidazole and also have CP ...should I QT him right away...he was QT'd for a month before putting him in the DT...that with CP...since he otherwise seems well, should I wait and observe or go for something...Help...

11. Congaken

o_O

12. Humblefish

@Congaken Can you post a photo, showing the red spot on him? Being it's a butterfly, the spot is more likely to be something bacterial than Uronema.

13. Congaken

My wife's away...she's the techy...I'm the old guy...I'll try tomorrow...

Humblefish likes this.
  14. Humblefish

Does it look anything like this? Maybe just not as severe?

[​IMG]

15. Congaken

Just a millimeter or two spot at the base of the fin...now seems to be gone...we'll see tomorrow...thanks...;)

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  16. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus Article Contributor Expert Contributor

I would lean more toward bacterial as well, in which case it can heal on it's own or get out of hand. If it's gone already, that's a good thing but let us know tomorrow if it comes back or gets worse

Humblefish likes this.
  17. Congaken

Well...the right one is gone, but there is a small one on the left side...odd, eh?...so lets see what happens...any antibiotic that will work in a fowlr with motile inverts?...If he needs treatment, I really hate to take him out unless no choice...do have a QT set up...but:confused:

18. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

@Humblefish could you make the case to prophylactically treat all incoming fish with acriflavine and/or API general cure (over PraziPro) to keep Uronema from ever entering a system? Or would one acriflavine bath and two applications of general cure not successfully knock it out. I say this for those who don't have access to CP or have CP sensitive fish.

19. Humblefish

You could soak an antibiotic (ex. erythromycin, kanamycin) in with his food, if you also used a binder (ex. Seachem Focus) to prevent the medication from leaching out.

Treating with General Cure or just metronidazole (ex. Seachem Metroplex) would be a wise course of action for Uronema prone species i.e. any member of the damsel family. You can safely mix metro with most other medications.

drawman likes this.
  20. Congaken

I have MetoPlex and Focus...so whatever the infection seems to be...I'll start a course tomorrow...of course, other fish will eat it too...the bf generally eats live little-necks and cyclops...because of his small mouth...which do you think will be best...other fish are chromies, Kole, firefish, Singapore, Niger and diamnd goby...

Draft saved Draft deleted