Uronema marinum

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious humble what are you expecting it to do? I've dosed my aquarium 1mL/10gallons for 2 weeks on a few occasions for algae issues.
Interestingly, I know someone who cleared their reef tank of velvet by administering that dosage every 12 hours for 30 days. ;) Maybe the holy grail reef safe parasite treatment has been sitting in a 99 cent bottle of H2O2 all this time? :eek:

But I first want to experiment with H2O2 bath treatments. There is more scientific evidence to support that. See links below:

drawman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Interestingly, I know someone who cleared their reef tank of velvet by administering that dosage every 12 hours for 30 days. ;) Maybe the holy grail reef safe parasite treatment has been sitting in a 99 cent bottle of H2O2 all this time? :eek:

But I first want to experiment with H2O2 bath treatments. There is more scientific evidence to support that. See links below:

Now wouldn't that be nice and easy!

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Now wouldn't that be nice and easy!
I recently was talking to a wholesaler about H2O2, and they told me they had done experimentation but it was fruitless. So, I asked them to share that data with me but they refused. Why would you say information is proprietary, if said information doesn't contain anything useful?? The owner really was trying his best to dissuade me from "wasting my time" on H2O2.

Now, I have been known to dabble in conspiracy theories from time to time. ;) But something tells me I'm going to uncover some shocking information that is going to help our fish, and also I'm not the first one to have discovered it...

drawman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I recently was talking to a wholesaler about H2O2, and they told me they had done experimentation but it was fruitless. So, I asked them to share that data with me but they refused. Why would you say information is proprietary, if said information doesn't contain anything useful?? The owner really was trying his best to dissuade me from "wasting my time" on H2O2.

Now, I have been known to dabble in conspiracy theories from time to time. ;) But something tells me I'm going to uncover some shocking information that is going to help our fish, and also I'm not the first one to have discovered it...
Yeah that's a really weird thing to keep under cover lol.

OP
Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
*** UPDATE:

If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, DO NOT use formalin or H2O2 on that fish. Both chemicals will burn the sores, and ultimately do more harm than good. (Formalin and H2O2 are still appropriate for fish you suspect may be carriers of Uronema, but not yet showing red sores.) If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, you have two options:
  1. Euthanasia: How to euthanize a fish
  2. 5 min freshwater dip + dose Metronidazole (Flagyl) every 48 hours for 14 days in a QT.
To be honest, option #2 only has a slight chance of working because usually by the time you see the red sores on the fish it's too little, too late. :( I personally just euthanize the fish to prevent the disease from spreading.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Purely anecdotal at this point... But a public aquarium I advise successfully cleared a system of Uronema by dosing 1 mL per 5 gals of 3% H2O2 every 12 hours for 10 days. I cannot wait for 2020, so I can begin experimenting full-time with H2O2 myself. I think its gonna be a real game changer for our hobby.
What ppm would this equate too? Hurts my brain trying to caculate it but it sounds quite low (and potentially reef-safe??)

Thanks

Hair Algae in your aquarium. Choose all that apply!

• I've never had hair algae

Votes: 55 8.5%
  • I Have had a little but nothing major

Votes: 166 25.6%
  • I Have had several tough outbreaks

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • I Have had a major outbreak that I won

Votes: 188 29.0%
  • Have had a major outbreak that caused me to tear the tank down

Votes: 27 4.2%
  • I am battling a little hair algae now

Votes: 164 25.3%