OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious humble what are you expecting it to do? I've dosed my aquarium 1mL/10gallons for 2 weeks on a few occasions for algae issues.

Interestingly, I know someone who cleared their reef tank of velvet by administering that dosage every 12 hours for 30 days. ;) Maybe the holy grail reef safe parasite treatment has been sitting in a 99 cent bottle of H2O2 all this time? :eek:

But I first want to experiment with H2O2 bath treatments. There is more scientific evidence to support that. See links below:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, I know someone who cleared their reef tank of velvet by administering that dosage every 12 hours for 30 days. ;) Maybe the holy grail reef safe parasite treatment has been sitting in a 99 cent bottle of H2O2 all this time? :eek:

But I first want to experiment with H2O2 bath treatments. There is more scientific evidence to support that. See links below:

Now wouldn't that be nice and easy!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now wouldn't that be nice and easy!

I recently was talking to a wholesaler about H2O2, and they told me they had done experimentation but it was fruitless. So, I asked them to share that data with me but they refused. Why would you say information is proprietary, if said information doesn't contain anything useful?? The owner really was trying his best to dissuade me from "wasting my time" on H2O2.

Now, I have been known to dabble in conspiracy theories from time to time. ;) But something tells me I'm going to uncover some shocking information that is going to help our fish, and also I'm not the first one to have discovered it...

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was talking to a wholesaler about H2O2, and they told me they had done experimentation but it was fruitless. So, I asked them to share that data with me but they refused. Why would you say information is proprietary, if said information doesn't contain anything useful?? The owner really was trying his best to dissuade me from "wasting my time" on H2O2.

Now, I have been known to dabble in conspiracy theories from time to time. ;) But something tells me I'm going to uncover some shocking information that is going to help our fish, and also I'm not the first one to have discovered it...
Yeah that's a really weird thing to keep under cover lol.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** UPDATE:

If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, DO NOT use formalin or H2O2 on that fish. Both chemicals will burn the sores, and ultimately do more harm than good. (Formalin and H2O2 are still appropriate for fish you suspect may be carriers of Uronema, but not yet showing red sores.) If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, you have two options:
  1. Euthanasia: How to euthanize a fish
  2. 5 min freshwater dip + dose Metronidazole (Flagyl) every 48 hours for 14 days in a QT.
To be honest, option #2 only has a slight chance of working because usually by the time you see the red sores on the fish it's too little, too late. :( I personally just euthanize the fish to prevent the disease from spreading.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely anecdotal at this point... But a public aquarium I advise successfully cleared a system of Uronema by dosing 1 mL per 5 gals of 3% H2O2 every 12 hours for 10 days. I cannot wait for 2020, so I can begin experimenting full-time with H2O2 myself. I think its gonna be a real game changer for our hobby.

What ppm would this equate too? Hurts my brain trying to caculate it but it sounds quite low (and potentially reef-safe??)

Thanks

Reef Crusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully treated my blue chromis but with CP not Kana and metro. He is finally fat and happy in my display after 3 months in QT. The first few months were treating with different stuff (Prazi, Metro, etc) while trying to source CP. Eventually I got my vet to see him and prescribe me CP. Dosed 60mg/gallon for 30 days. Red sores went away and He has now been in my DT for about 2 months. Absolutely no signs of the disease, eating like a pig and has probably doubled in size. A lot of time and money spent on a $4 fish hahaha.
That's a very good success story, well done. I believe my Moorish Idol is suffering from Uronema marinum and I would really appreciate to see what the step by step process you achieved success with, please.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very good success story, well done. I believe my Moorish Idol is suffering from Uronema marinum and I would really appreciate to see what the step by step process you achieved success with, please.
Welcome to R2R!
Do you have access to CP?

Reef Crusader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Do you have access to CP?
Thank you, good to be here. My Idol's sore may've been misdiagnosed. He's had the sore for a week now and is still eating and happy. I started dosing with API Melafix and the wound is almost all cleared :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, good to be here. My Idol's sore may've been misdiagnosed. He's had the sore for a week now and is still eating and happy. I started dosing with API Melafix and the wound is almost all cleared :)
It's real easy to confuse the redness from a bacterial infection with the redness of Uronema. They present much the same early on. But uronema they develop open sores too. By then it's often too late to save the fish.
Melafix can be a very good medication for mild bacterial infections. Awesome your fish is doing well. Have a great day!

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a Green Chromis this morning with uronema. The green chromis was only in the tank for 2 days before the red lesion appeared (it was white the first day). The tank is new (8 weeks) with 2 black & white clowns and a firefish, trochus snails and blue legged hermits.

is there anything I should do to help protect the clowns as I read the article saying clowns can be prone to this as well and the article was terrifying when it said no host is needed and when it’s in the tank it’s there indefinitely. Now I’m freaking out!!!

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so
Uronema marinum
uronema.jpg

What You Need To Know:

* These are the red sores most often seen on chromis damsels; however it can afflict any fish.
* Treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath (e.g. Quick Cure), followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT.
* Once in QT, it is very important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) for 10-14 days.
* There is no fallow period for Uronema. Once a tank has Uronema, it must be assumed that the disease can survive in there almost indefinitely.

uronema1.jpg
uronema2.jpg
uronema3.jpg
uronema4.jpg

Additional Information

Uronema marinum is a ciliate parasite with a direct life cycle: It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish (no encysted stage). However, there always exists the possibility that parasites can drop off into the water column and infect other fish. Having no encysted stage makes this pathogen easier to eliminate, but do not underestimate how fast killing Uronema can be. Especially with chromis damsels.

Two additional caveats to know about Uronema:

1. A fish infected with Uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

2. Uronema is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. It can subsist off bacteria, dead tissue and (mainly) detritus. So, going fallow will not eradicate it. Most fish seem protected from it via their natural immune system; but for some reason, chromis and some other fish are not always afforded this protection. This is one pathogen you never want in your display tank. Probably the best way to manage its presence is to maintain a very clean aquarium with minimal detritus and avoid chromis damsels. This should keep the number of parasites low because you are eliminating the pathogen’s two main food sources.

Treatment OptionsA formalin or Ruby Reef Rally bath are the two best options for providing relief to an infected specimen:

Formalin (45 min bath): https://humble.fish/formalin/

Rally (90 min bath): https://humble.fish/acriflavine/

Post bath, transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. Then dose Chloroquine Phosphate once (60 mg/gal) or metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days thereafter. This is to ensure all of the parasites have been eradicated. Remember to also food soak metronidazole during the QT period in order to eliminate the internal parasites as well.

A 5 minute freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away. It is a wise course of action to always transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT following each freshwater dip to prevent reinfection.

*** UPDATE:

If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, DO NOT use formalin or H2O2 on that fish. Both chemicals will burn the sores, and ultimately do more harm than good. (Formalin and H2O2 are still appropriate for fish you suspect may be carriers of Uronema, but not yet showing red sores.) If a fish is showing active signs (red sores) of Uronema, you have two options:
  1. Euthanasia: How to euthanize a fish
  2. 5 min freshwater dip + dose Metronidazole (Flagyl) every 48 hours for 14 days in a QT.
To be honest, option #2 only has a slight chance of working because usually by the time you see the red sores on the fish it's too little, too late. :( I personally just euthanize the fish to prevent the disease from spreading.
I might have it in my tank. It’s a new tank so i just have rock, sand and my neon dottyback. So my question is if i treat with metroplex for the 14 days will it completely get out of the tank?

Flytekk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread. But i have live rock in a brute container in my garage with power head and NO heater for 1.5 years. Because i never knew if id start back up again i didnt bother heating the brute.

I am now starting backup. The salinity was at 1.030 after 1.5years of water circulation with lid on. I now added a heater. Because i didnt know if beneficial bacteria survived the freezing cold and hot summer days in my garage i dosed eith bacteria in a bottle.

The reason why i shutdown my tank 1.5 years ago was due to uronema. I asssumed the rock would be clear of uronema now after being fallow with no detritus and extreme temperatures from unheated and uncooled garage.

But i figure i would ask here just to be safe. Better safe than sorry. Do you think uronema can survive this long under these conditions?

If so what should i do? Sump chlorine in brute and dry rock then start over?

Back