Bacteria infection?
Or wound?

Last edited:

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is wiping the tank and all equipment down with vinegar water and letting it air dry for a couple days sufficient to sterilize a quarantine after uronema? I've put three groups of chromis through quarantine (all of which have died to uronema) and now have a group of anthias that likely have it too and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong in sterilizing the tank

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is wiping the tank and all equipment down with vinegar water and letting it air dry for a couple days sufficient to sterilize a quarantine after uronema? I've put three groups of chromis through quarantine (all of which have died to uronema) and now have a group of anthias that likely have it too and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong in sterilizing the tank

Yes if you are sure every single droplet is evaporated and gone for at least a day, maybe two.

Even in places not you can’t touch with your hands, like the corner, in pumps , etc.

I think bleach is a far more effective disenfecting agent. Doesn’t have to totally dry for days , just rinse really well and use prime to clean up any leftover if any

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brought 3 chromis through ttm with 2x prazi and have them in observation. All are eating and active. One has a small mark about the size of 1/32 or smaller almost like a missing scale it has a red color to it.

It's been there since day 1 and hasn't changed. Unfortunately I just told the guy at lfs to grab me 3 chromis and I didn't inspect closely. My bad.

Wondering if I should treat prophylactically with metro in water and bind to food for 14 days.
8f92913561a551624c1339c91c76f00e.jpg
af273dd65ebccb8dd401f6eb34a7a2b0.jpg
81802c0d99c7362c7e45042aa1b819c9.jpg
9d49b7bd97fdbaabf619047eac9bc394.jpg
8296acd763fd6c1b5fe9bd7a87675b76.jpg

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience treating uronema first hand. Those pictures do not look uronema based on other pictures I have seen. Could just be trauma or something stuck on there. Regardless, I would initiate treatment prophetically in your QT whether there was suspicion of disease or not. Antibiotics can start immediately with (in my opinion) little short term risk. If you want to use copper ramp it up, if you have Chloroquine, use that.

Also, is your QT a gatorade bottle with a power head?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brought 3 chromis through ttm with 2x prazi and have them in observation. All are eating and active. One has a small mark about the size of 1/32 or smaller almost like a missing scale it has a red color to it.

It's been there since day 1 and hasn't changed. Unfortunately I just told the guy at lfs to grab me 3 chromis and I didn't inspect closely. My bad.

Wondering if I should treat prophylactically with metro in water and bind to food for 14 days.
8f92913561a551624c1339c91c76f00e.jpg
af273dd65ebccb8dd401f6eb34a7a2b0.jpg
81802c0d99c7362c7e45042aa1b819c9.jpg
9d49b7bd97fdbaabf619047eac9bc394.jpg
8296acd763fd6c1b5fe9bd7a87675b76.jpg

Yes, start treating with Metro at 2 scoops per 10G in the water and feed them Metro+focus. I would also do 90 min bath in Ruby Reef Rally if you have it and I also start copper (copper power) at 1.75ppm. This can progress quickly and if it is Uronema (as it appears) fish go downhill quickly.

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha it's a 2 gal rubbermade for these guys whatever works right.

How long should I treat with metro.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering how lethal Uronema is I would treat for 14 days even if symptoms disappear at 10

And really, if your going to treat for 14 whats 7 more days to eliminate ich and velvet just in case (assuming copper). I usually throw in prazi the last few days as well since they will be coming out and I am going to do a 100% water change anyways.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And really, if your going to treat for 14 whats 7 more days to eliminate ich and velvet just in case (assuming copper). I usually throw in prazi the last few days as well since they will be coming out and I am going to do a 100% water change anyways.
14 days copper is all that is needed for velvet or ich with a transfer to a sterile tank.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of 8 chromis with similar looking markings. Hard to tell if its actually red. If it is its very dark red, if not black. On the 3rd day of CP and day 2 of metroplex in water and in food fed 2-3x daily. The group was added to fish farther along into QT, their time is about up. A fire fish and Midas blenny. Would it be safe to remove these two from QT? I guess I'm asking if CP will keep them from carrying anything into my DT.

Thanks

Matt

Cosmo254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take Uronema to kill a fish? Does it spread all over the fish?

Tony O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Uronema in my QT and have lost 2 Anthias and a wrasse in 3 days. I have CP from my local vet. Should I use it to treat the empty qt or use bleach as mentioned here instead?

speacci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I now have Uronema in/on one of my chromis. Question is, I am new to all of this, they were in QT. I have 6 chromis, 4 cardinal, and 1 purple fire fish. Can I "separate" out the other fish and not have to worry about this? Basically does this disease affect ALL fish, or just chromis and clowns? My research is telling me that this thing is free swimming, so basically no way to kill it, and I DO NOT want to bring this to my DT. I would just pass out.

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I now have Uronema in/on one of my chromis. Question is, I am new to all of this, they were in QT. I have 6 chromis, 4 cardinal, and 1 purple fire fish. Can I "separate" out the other fish and not have to worry about this? Basically does this disease affect ALL fish, or just chromis and clowns? My research is telling me that this thing is free swimming, so basically no way to kill it, and I DO NOT want to bring this to my DT. I would just pass out.

Be extremely careful not to transfer it to your DT via aerosol or anything wet. That includes your water making station, tools, hands, etc. I believe you can treat in QT, but the experts on the forum can better advise. I have it in my DT.

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hypersalinity (37ppt) is also effective to keep this parasite at bay. assume it is already everywhere. Wrasse and butterflies are just as prone to it as chromis. Daily fresh water dips and formalin baths help to offer relief. maintaining a clean environment in QT is best.

speacci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be extremely careful not to transfer it to your DT via aerosol or anything wet. That includes your water making station, tools, hands, etc. I believe you can treat in QT, but the experts on the forum can better advise. I have it in my DT.

Thoughts:

I highly doubt it (or I’m just being hopeful) but there is a non-zero possibility that 1 time, about. 2 weeks ago, I used the same pipette to test the salinity of both my QT tank, and my DT - in that order. I’m not 100% sure, but it may have happened. I didn’t share any water, but the pipette did not air dry for anything more than maybe 30 minutes, and yes, I accidentally forgot to use a different/separate one.

I’m new to this, so the DT tank is actually empty empty. Just cycling. What can I do to ensure that if I actually did introduce anything, I can kill it? Short of literally tearing down the tank to when I first bought it. DT is a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500.

speacci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hypersalinity (37ppt) is also effective to keep this parasite at bay. assume it is already everywhere. Wrasse and butterflies are just as prone to it as chromis. Daily fresh water dips and formalin baths help to offer relief. maintaining a clean environment in QT is best.

See my question above. Please please give me feedback on this.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back