Uronema on blue/green chromis?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish was looking thru your information on chromis fish regarding Uronema. I currently have/had 6 blue/green chromis in QT. I just lost one fish today (see pic) I noticed the reddish area on the gills of the fish and thought it may be Uronema. I took a skin scrap from the area and took some videos. If you wouldn't mind helping me ID. If it is Uronema, I can plan accordingly with a new QT setup for the remainder 5. I appreciate the help!

20221216_170335.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Humblefish was looking thru your information on chromis fish regarding Uronema. I currently have/had 6 blue/green chromis in QT. I just lost one fish today (see pic) I noticed the reddish area on the gills of the fish and thought it may be Uronema. I took a skin scrap from the area and took some videos. If you wouldn't mind helping me ID. If it is Uronema, I can plan accordingly with a new QT setup for the remainder 5. I appreciate the help!

20221216_170335.jpg

sorry to see the end result. While the scope image has the shape of uronema, it also looks like an ostracod and is single cell. The fish itself shows no visible sign. With the mouth open, it may be either low level oxygen or gill flukes but I believe oxygen.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to see the end result. While the scope image has the shape of uronema, it also looks like an ostracod and is single cell. The fish itself shows no visible sign. With the mouth open, it may be either low level oxygen or gill flukes but I believe oxygen.
I can increase oxygen levels. But I believe the mouth is open from me getting skin scrapes on the gills.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are "Uronema". Except for taxonomists, nobody can really ID them to species level, and often not even to genus level, so the most accurate way to describe them is "Scuticociliates", the main group of protozoans that include Uronema.

The open mouth posture of the dead chromis is also very common with Uronema. When Uronema is inter-cellular, there is simply no effective treatment. Externally, it can be controlled with formalin or chloroquine.

Here is an article I wrote about it:

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are "Uronema". Except for taxonomists, nobody can really ID them to species level, and often not even to genus level, so the most accurate way to describe them is "Scuticociliates", the main group of protozoans that include Uronema.

The open mouth posture of the dead chromis is also very common with Uronema. When Uronema is inter-cellular, there is simply no effective treatment. Externally, it can be controlled with formalin or chloroquine.

Here is an article I wrote about it:

Jay
Thank you for the details! It sounds like these guys are gonna be a huge risk for my main tank at this point with no way to truly cleanse the fish.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, 3 of the 6 fish have died. However, the remaining 3 seem to be doing great. I may move them to a fresh QT to see how they do longer term. Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, 3 of the 6 fish have died. However, the remaining 3 seem to be doing great. I may move them to a fresh QT to see how they do longer term. Thoughts?
I’d give it two weeks after the last fish died just to ensure things have settled down with them.
Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back