Uronema Question

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering ordering a group of Blue/Green Chromis from Dr Reef QT Fish. My question really evolves around the disease. Can Uronema show well after receiving them?

If I get them and observe them for a week or so and let’s say they are all good and healthy. Do they or can they get the disease years later?

I have read how Uronema is prevalent with them but I just want to make sure that if I do get healthy fish and they are in fact healthy for a few years they won’t then get the disease later and infect my DT tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am considering ordering a group of Blue/Green Chromis from Dr Reef QT Fish. My question really evolves around the disease. Can Uronema show well after receiving them?

If I get them and observe them for a week or so and let’s say they are all good and healthy. Do they or can they get the disease years later?

I have read how Uronema is prevalent with them but I just want to make sure that if I do get healthy fish and they are in fact healthy for a few years they won’t then get the disease later and infect my DT tank.
The answer is yes, however there are precautions you can take to reduce risk
Even if quarantined, give them at least a 60-90 minute aerated bath in ruby rally pro.
Assure salinity does not get low, remove debris such as uneaten food which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this. And maintain Good water quality

OP
OP
SaltlifeHokie

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes, however there are precautions you can take to reduce risk
Even if quarantined, give them at least a 60-90 minute aerated bath in ruby rally pro.
Assure salinity does not get low, remove debris such as uneaten food which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this. And maintain Good water quality
I think I’ll just pass on this species then. Such a pretty fish but I’d hate for them to introduce it to the DT years down the road. For $13 it’s not worth it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Internal Uronema almost always shows up in these fish within the first 40 days of arrival. It is not treatable. Dr. Reef's quarantine process will not cure it, but it DOES screen for it in that if there is a problem with it, it will most likely happen in his tanks, not yours.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back