Use UV, cheato and fleece filter together?

Tanker Bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, still new to reefing and just had significant event of ick and/or velvet wiping out half my tank and new tangs and clowns I had for over a year. So I am trying to go on the offensive and am considering a few things. I have 225 gal tank and Trigger Systems 44 sump (may have to make modifications in it to fit roller better). I am looking at nutrient control and ick and parasite control. In researching I came across UV filters but I understand you need to use for algae/ick or parasites. Am thinking the Aqua UV 57watt. Also, I have cheat with cheap light and it is not growing or dying. Thinking Kessil H80 or H160. Would H160 be overkill? Would H80 be enough for about a 20"x20' area? Lastly, tired of filter socks and looking at the fleece rollers. Most likely the Clarisea SK-5000.

Is this too much to use at the same time? I just hate losing fish (my wife even more-so; and I have learned the value of QT tank) and I am trying to reduce maintenance.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

How about some help for this person. I'd help, but I've never experienced ich.

Scubatricky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HHi Bob, sorry to hear of your woes. Ich is a horrible parasite. I remember battling it 20 years ago with a regal tang...just when I thought it had gone, it would emerge again and I'd be battling once more.

Ich can lie dormant in the tank, and then when the opportunity arises it springs into action and attacks.

Temperature has an effect on the lifecycle of the protazoa, raising the temperature will speed up the cycle, and to some extent allow fish the ability to fight it...if they're healthy.

I'd recommend a hospital tank, move your infected fish to it with the same Easter parameters as the main tank and slowly raise the temperature by a couple of degrees over several days. You can then safely treat the fish in isolation with a copper based medication.

UV will generally deal with the free floating stages of ich, but thoughts can be that you'll also end up zapping lots of beneficial bugs that are floating around.

A Clarisea roller is a good move, anything that reduces bioload by removing organics before they break down is always a good move.

Your post is quite a diverse question, so I've tried to do my best to help in a short space of time.

Scubatricky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regards to your chaeto situation. Adding more light or changing light will make no difference as algae needs light AND nutrients. No nutrients = no growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back