Rethreading Trigger Fleece

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I’m getting great use out of my Trigger platinum sump and I generally like it. Buuut….

If you miss the timing to attach another fleece roll before the last one runs out… it is a major pain in the tuchus to thread a new fleece through the fleece rollers underwater, in an overstuffed cabinet, with poor visibility. My goodness, probably the most frustrating and time consuming task per unit reward of my entire reefing experience. Luckily, I usually get it before it runs out, but if I don’t for some reason there’s 2-3 hrs of cursing on the horizon.

Would be really nice if you could detach the rollers run the fleece and reattach the rollers over the fleece instead of threading a thin, floppy, piece of wet fleece through/under the rollers. Alas, this is the way.

Mind your fleece alarms friends! (Or in my case, hurry up and set up the breakout box you just got for the alarm!)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like a nightmare! I use a redsea reefmat and it works just like you say - remove the whole roll, put a new one in. The reefbeat app also alerts you when it's running low...

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself changing the roll pretty early just to keep this from happening. I haven't had to thread a new one through wet yet, but it doesn't look fun.

My plan, when this happens to me, is to use a thin piece of plastic as a threading tool. We used to do this when threading film and photo paper through the machines back when I worked in a photo processing center. We had cards that were thin/flexible plastic, but stiff enough to push through the zig-zag rollers in the system.

Just tape the fleece to the end of something like that and guide it through. (Hopefully)

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself changing the roll pretty early just to keep this from happening. I haven't had to thread a new one through wet yet, but it doesn't look fun.

My plan, when this happens to me, is to use a thin piece of plastic as a threading tool. We used to do this when threading film and photo paper through the machines back when I worked in a photo processing center. We had cards that were thin/flexible plastic, but stiff enough to push through the zig-zag rollers in the system.

Just tape the fleece to the end of something like that and guide it through. (Hopefully)
Oh good idea! Something like xray film-ish?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good idea! Something like xray film-ish?
Yeah, that might be stiff enough. I've got some 0.020" thick polycarbonate sitting around in a scrap bin that I was thinking about. It is probably be twice as thick as xray film, but it just needs to be easier to guide through those rollers than wet fleece.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back