used aquarium questions! need advice

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a bit excited when writing this, but a reefer nearby was selling a 60 gal tank with a 10 gal sump for 350, is now giving it to me for free! im very excited for a new tank, but I want to know anything that might seem concerning as well as if its worth it in the long run, getting the right supplies for it etc. the size of the tank peaks my interest as its the same dimensions as the reefer 350! and it fits perfectly with my tight fitting room.

I will post pictures, I know the tank looks shabby but i am fine with cleaning it
I posted a thread last time about it and want to discuss some things first(that im fine with paying)
-I will upgrade the sump to a 20 gal long DIY sump
-I will ask how to use the plumbing system, but i am fine with replacing the piping and if there is any issues or problems i will bring it up here
-The lights are probably not enough for all coral, so im gonna find a new set of lights on market place( I saw 3 kessil 360s with everything for 700, but not sure if its worth yet)
-If the stand is not sturdy, I will ask a family member or look/ask on here to set one up.

from my knowledge that is all I know, if theres anything I would need to upgrade in the future please inform me! I currently have a red sea 20 gal thats been running for 3 years, so i have materials like sumps, pumps, and beneficial bacteria to start everything.

I dont know how everything is as Im not in person to see it, but want to know your thoughts!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a bit excited when writing this, but a reefer nearby was selling a 60 gal tank with a 10 gal sump for 350, is now giving it to me for free! im very excited for a new tank, but I want to know anything that might seem concerning as well as if its worth it in the long run, getting the right supplies for it etc. the size of the tank peaks my interest as its the same dimensions as the reefer 350! and it fits perfectly with my tight fitting room.

I will post pictures, I know the tank looks shabby but i am fine with cleaning it
I posted a thread last time about it and want to discuss some things first(that im fine with paying)
-I will upgrade the sump to a 20 gal long DIY sump
-I will ask how to use the plumbing system, but i am fine with replacing the piping and if there is any issues or problems i will bring it up here
-The lights are probably not enough for all coral, so im gonna find a new set of lights on market place( I saw 3 kessil 360s with everything for 700, but not sure if its worth yet)
-If the stand is not sturdy, I will ask a family member or look/ask on here to set one up.

from my knowledge that is all I know, if theres anything I would need to upgrade in the future please inform me! I currently have a red sea 20 gal thats been running for 3 years, so i have materials like sumps, pumps, and beneficial bacteria to start everything.

I dont know how everything is as Im not in person to see it, but want to know your thoughts!
IMG_8444.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8450.jpeg
    IMG_8450.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8451.jpeg
    IMG_8451.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 101

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the game for awhile, but am getting back in. So I'll tell you what my views on the subject are from 12 years ago. First of all, it's going to be expensive. Know that. And know it well. You have a starter pack of rock, but it is not enough for a truly healthy tank. I collected 145 pounds of live rock over the years for a 90 gal tank and it looked good. And worked well establishing the ecosystem. Live rock is expensive. So look around for it on Offer Up, Craig's list or any stores that are willing to sell for a reasonable price. The smaller operations have the best deals. It looks like you are going to replace a lot of things. Accept that and follow the advise of those who know more than I. You lighting is going to be KEY with Corals. Also your choice of fish. You can have about 20 inches of fish (if I'm getting that right) in your tank. Look that up. I believe it's 1 inch per 3 gallons in a saltwater tank and 1 inch for 1 gallon in a freshwater tank. Also, GO SLOW. Do not put all the fish in there at once. You're going to need to put them in one at a time to let the ecosystem (re)establish. Personally, when I get mine going again, I'm going to have EVERYTHING planned in advance. What kind of corals I'm going to have. What kind of anemone I'm going to have. What kind of fish I'm going to have and WHAT ORDER I place them and when. What kind of invertebrates, etc.

Good luck! I'm happy for you. This is a very good hobby and something you can look at and say "I did that!". J.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick way to clean the Aquarium, is Ten parts Water to 1 part Muriatic Acid. Just do it outside, on a day with a Steady Breeze, up wind. Citric Acid also works with less fumes, and you can clean the pumps at the same time, in it. Just takes longer. I’d paint the stand with Rust Oleum Topside Paint, or a Spar Varnish. BTW, For the Topside Paint, on bare wood you need to add 25% Thinner, Coat, Lightly Sand Recoat, either with the diluted Spar Varnish, or undiluted Spar Varnish. It’s possible to make the wood almost impervious to moisture, with four coats, of paint or varnish.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick way to clean the Aquarium, is Ten parts Water to 1 part Muriatic Acid. Just do it outside, on a day with a Steady Breeze, up wind. Citric Acid also works with less fumes, and you can clean the pumps at the same time, in it. Just takes longer. I’d paint the stand with Rust Oleum Topside Paint, or a Spar Varnish. BTW, For the Topside Paint, on bare wood you need to add 25% Thinner, Coat, Lightly Sand Recoat, either with the diluted Spar Varnish, or undiluted Spar Varnish. It’s possible to make the wood almost impervious to moisture, with four coats, of paint or varnish.

Will that work with mine? It's been sitting x12 years plus with sand and rock still in it. I'm a little worried about what that did to the seals. I DO NOT want a situation whereby I get this going and have it leak. That would suck.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is to check the seals on the tank and make sure theres no damages to corners or anything since its so dirty. Fixer upper for sure but looks fun to turn around as long as the tank is crack free and has good seals on the seems!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you all for the advice, I will try to manage costs as much as possible
I picked up the tank today and tried cleaning it, but worried about the silicone, I’ll send pics

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8582.jpeg
    IMG_8582.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8583.jpeg
    IMG_8583.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8584.jpeg
    IMG_8584.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8586.jpeg
    IMG_8586.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 65

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can always redo the silicone

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always redo the silicone

From the read of this post OP is not about to re silicone this tank.

OP; tank is rimless, strength relies entirely upon the glass thickness and silicone. The silicone you see is cosmetic only; the actual seam is between the panes. I would personally never own rimless, but from what I see you should be okay. Make sure stand is very flat and level.

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the silicone still feels flexible I would reseal just for the worry if a seam leak later on. Maybe I worry to much about that. You got a good deal and can make a very nice display with it.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the read of this post OP is not about to re silicone this tank.

OP; tank is rimless, strength relies entirely upon the glass thickness and silicone. The silicone you see is cosmetic only; the actual seam is between the panes. I would personally never own rimless, but from what I see you should be okay. Make sure stand is very flat and level.
For sure! Going to replace the stand so it’s fit for my preference and also it’s kinda corroding lol, but I might add silicone to the cosmetic sides just to be extra sure, but thank you I’ll consider that

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the silicone still feels flexible I would reseal just for the worry if a seam leak later on. Maybe I worry to much about that. You got a good deal and can make a very nice display with it.
I just cleaned it! I’m very tired and haven’t even started in the sump so I’m gonna be more tired, it’s fun to clean a 60 gal dirty tank until you realize your cleaning a 60gal dirty tank lol

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! Going to replace the stand so it’s fit for my preference and also it’s kinda corroding lol, but I might add silicone to the cosmetic sides just to be extra sure, but thank you I’ll consider that
Also I would reseal, but I don’t think there’s any places nearby I can, I’ll ask my lfs or here on this thread to see how I can seal it so leaks won’t occur later

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back