OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of reseal videos on YouTube. I have resealed a 40 and 55 gallon tanks. Great job on the tank cleaning.
Thank you:), I think I’m a bit scared of doing it on my own, I’ll call my lfs to see what they recommend. I might just layer some silicone on top of the original

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering if i should invest in a new 20 gal sump, the one provided is acrylic and was thinking if i should instead replace it for a fiji Diy 20 kit instead of the one given but not sure if its a good idea, ill send a photo of the one provided with the main display

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed an older aquarium myself, it wasn't all that difficult but just time consuming. I'm quite happy with the result and it's still up and running today. The silicone in an aquarium is done in two steps. There is the pane adhesive, so where the silicone is actually holding the panes together. The other step is where you see it inside the corners on the interior of the aquarium. This layer is actually the waterproofing layer. I cut that internal layer out, cleaned it up real well, taped it off, and then applied a new layer throughout. It wasn't incredibly difficult, just took a fair amount of time.

Here are some limited pictures and updates of the progress.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New is better , once you get a reef going , you'll be glad it was new tank , if your going to rehab a used glass tank , you might need a lot of brand new razor blades ( carefull some have a oil coat on them , wash thurowly lol). Don't cut through the pane seal DONT CUT THE PANE SEAL , remove the inner seal changing the blade often,go over the cleaned area multiple times , then use a generous amount of asi brand silcone (amazon). do the whole tank in one shot , dry time is 5-15 days

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New is better , once you get a reef going , you'll be glad it was new tank , if your going to rehab a used glass tank , you might need a lot of brand new razor blades ( carefull some have a oil coat on them , wash thurowly lol). Don't cut through the pane seal DONT CUT THE PANE SEAL , remove the inner seal changing the blade often,go over the cleaned area multiple times , then use a generous amount of asi brand silcone (amazon). do the whole tank in one shot , dry time is 5-15 days
your talking about the parts that are already damaged right? not the silicone between the two panes that hold it together? just need a bit of clarification as i might be willing to do that rather than resealing the whole thing lol

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is to check the seals on the tank and make sure theres no damages to corners or anything since its so dirty. Fixer upper for sure but looks fun to turn around as long as the tank is crack free and has good seals on the seems!
It's a concern. My first tank was a 75G on a rough stand. I rebuilt part of said stand and added more on the back end to handle a 90G. What I DIDN'T do is consider the extra weight in water and glass. Luckily nothing came of it but just so you know, knowing what the stand is built for is important. Also, that 75G tank sprung a leak. I tried, unsuccessfully, to fix it, hence my 90G substitute. And it is a PAIN to change out tanks mid stride. Believe me. This is why I'm reticent of using my old tank as a main tank. I'll set it up as a hospital tank, perhaps, but that's about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back