Used BioCube - Lighting Issues

UWho10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am very new to the reef community and just started my first tank a 29g BioCube this past September. The tank has been awesome and I am absolutely loving having one but have run into a lighting issue NOONE seems to know how to fix. The BioCube I have is equipped with a "StevesLED's" upgrade and is controlled by a HurricaneX digital controller also from StevesLED's. The tank worked great for months, but recently the blue channel in the lights has been cutting out (See attached photos) and turning the tank just stark white. I e-mailed StevesLEDs and replaced the hood fan which was not working in hopes that it was an overheating issue but that has not fixed anything. Since then we have had discussions back and forth and they have no idea what may fix the problem and suggest mailing my entire lighting setup to them so that they can diagnose the problem and rebuild whatever is needed. My issue is I live in Canada and this is my only lighting source so the tank will be without light during the repair time, as well the costs associated with the USD to CAD conversion to have it diagnosed and repaired may surpass just buying a new lighting setup altogether. Does anyone have experience with this lighting setup and have any idea on what possible fixes or replacement light setups might be worth looking into?

The lights will be blue and normal for hours on end, then all of a sudden cut out and be white. Then they may stay that way for an entire day then switch back and be blue again for a bit then cut back out. By what the admin at StevesLED's has said, he figures it is some sort of safety feature or switch in the lighting setup that is turning the blue setting on/off. The controller and everything seem to be working fine? Any suggestions as to a fix or replacement are VERY much appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a newbie reefer.

IMG_6585[789].JPG IMG_6586[791].JPG IMG_6587[793].JPG IMG_6589[795].JPG IMG_6592[797].JPG IMG_6594[799].JPG

OP
OP
U

UWho10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is totally an option just have always enjoyed having a hood thus far. I am open to any suggestions tho!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you remove the hood, you open yourself up to more lighting options, in terms of equipment. What type of budget would you have if you were going to purchase a light?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back