Used equipment approach - please share yours!

shakemandril

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2025
Messages
70
Reaction score
125
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
As in most of my hobbies (rc planes/jets/helis, shooting sports, UTV's to name a few) there are always pros and cons for purchasing used equipment.

A few Pro's/Con's I've encountered in other hobbies

Pros
1. Value - it's easy to save money purchasing used equipment
2. Interaction - I have met and dealth with some amazing people and have typically learned from most experiences
3. Experience - considering devices you wouldn't normally consider due to good deals

Cons
1. Value - it's just as easy to lose money if the equipment is severely degraded or breaks shortly after purchase
2. Interaction - meeting and dealing with people can sometimes be tough and unpleasant
3. Experience - some consider testing and messing with equipment they don't like to be a waste of time. while I don't, I definitely have friends who would rather purchase only what they consider the best and aren't willing to try other things.

As you can see, I try to view things as a double edge sword and take the good with the possibility of bad. While it can be a hard pill to swallow sometimes, experience is earned and should valued, positive and negative alike!

What are some of your Pros/Cons of purchasing used equipment? Is there a process you use to "vet" used equipment before purchase?
 
I used to buy a lot of used gear, but I have bought less and less over the years. I think some of this is simply because I am not a broke jr high student like I was when I started reefing.

The other thing that has changed is that I have learned how long certain gear will last. I have been in this hobby for nearly 2 decades and I don't plan to get out any time soon so I start to think of the lifetime cost of the gear because I am in this for the long haul.

I personally don't trust a rimless glass tank past 10 years. Or a rimmed glass tank past 15 years. When I see used rimless tanks for sale I will just pass. I don't know how they were treated, and I really want the display to be in my home for at least 10 years. If it is already 5 years old and I don't know how it was stored or maintained, then I would rather just buy new.

For acrylic tanks, I will happily buy them, buff them out, and use them. They last forever. I just don't want acrylic for anything under 200 gallons because glass is so much easier to clean.

This principle applies to all kinds of gear. Most LED lights last me 6-7 years so if I buy a 3-4 year old light more than half of its usable life is gone. I will normally just fork over the money for a new light. DC pumps may last 7 years so do I really want one that is a few years old already? Iwaki Pumps last for all eternity so I will happily buy these used. I also am fine buying used skimmers and reactors as the acrylic bodies last forever. I just need to make sure that I can find a replacement pump and rubber seals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new