Using a 2 part without doser?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was just wondering, as of now, I have been relying on waterchanges once a week to keep my elements and alk up. But since I really started stocking my tank with stony corals the consumption has really started to become noticable on a daily basis, also my coralline algae is really spreading on pumps and glass.
I was looking at a 2 part solution like ATI essentials pro to give my corals a more stable environment, but I cant invest in a doser right now.
Lets say my daily dose of 2 part would be 5 ml of part 1 and 2, could I just add it to a high flow area once a day or would the swings be too big, that it would cause more instability then it benefits the tank?
Also I manually top of daily so I cant add anything to ATO.
Thanks for any advice!
IMG_20200417_195511-01.jpeg

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I used to do that but forgot to dose here and there. Make sure you dose those 2 separately. I did 1 in the morning and the other at night. You don’t have to dose them far apart like me, just an hour is good enough, but my schedule wasn’t there in an hour later to dose it. Drop them right on top of the powerhead is the best idea.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! Good to know I dont need to rig a doser right now to keep up with consumption even though I will in the future, and I will make sure to separate them with atleast one hour. :)

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people dose two-part by hand, once a day for each component. I used to just wait maybe 10-15 minutes between components and never had a problem. I mainly switched to dosers because I found myself either forgetting or getting busy and missing doses. One downside of using dosers is that when I was dosing by hand, I was better about keeping up on testing because I was always thinking about how much I needed to be putting in, and with the dosing setup I find I get lax about keeping up on testing and making whatever dose adjustments that are needed.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2 part manually. The Calcium component goes in the high flow area of the tank by the powerheads, the Alkalnity part, in my sump, also a high flow area.
Lots of people dose two-part by hand, once a day for each component. I used to just wait maybe 10-15 minutes between components and never had a problem. I mainly switched to dosers because I found myself either forgetting or getting busy and missing doses. One downside of using dosers is that when I was dosing by hand, I was better about keeping up on testing because I was always thinking about how much I needed to be putting in, and with the dosing setup I find I get lax about keeping up on testing and making whatever dose adjustments that are needed.
If you have been relying on water changes to now, the demand is pretty low and manual dosing will work fine. :)

Thanks for all the replies and tips! I will start to add some type of 2 part solution rightaway, and looking forward to seeing the results! :) Im open to suggestions regarding witch brand to use, Im leaning towards ATI at this point.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 43 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back