Using a Biocube protein skimmer in sump?

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I use in the back of my cube, if that is what you mean by sump. I upgraded the air pump and I am very happy with it.
However, if you have a drilled cube with a true sump, then you should definitely get a larger, more powerful skimmer.

OP
OP
thinktank

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I use in the back of my cube, if that is what you mean by sump. I upgraded the air pump and I am very happy with it.
However, if you have a drilled cube with a true sump, then you should definitely get a larger, more powerful skimmer.

Sorry, should have been more clear about the sump. The sump is under the tank. I'm thinking of using it on a tank that isn't a BioCube at all, but since they're only $30-$40 I thought it might work just as well in the below-tank sump.

I'd probably be dumping it out pretty often, but thought it might be worth the $100+ in savings.

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works great for me, because it fits behind the false wall of my cube. Yes, you would, that skimmer cup is so small, it needs to be emptied daily on my tank. But, if I were you, I would get the largest that fits in the sump. As far as skimmers go, bigger usually is better.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
verify water depth that is needed for whichever skimmer it is that your looking at. that might be the one thing that complicates it.
if the depth in the sump will match that required, shouldn't be an issue. what size is the tank your trying to use it on?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back