Using Air Cargo to ship

  • Thread starter Thread starter frans07
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

frans07

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to ship a bunch of corals back home and overnight shipping through fedex is going to be around 300. I've been told that shipping using air cargo is another way to go. I did some research and it seems pretty simple. Bag things extremely well, find the flight that you want it to go on, head to the airport and drop it off.

Is there anything else I should know? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose thousands in coral if I can help it!
 
I'd try and do a search for customer reviews for Air Cargo.

This is a risky time of year to be shipping something that absolutely has to be on time.
X-mass shipping, weather, tired shipping workers, etc. Mistakes happen.
 
looked into it and it's not worth the hassle.

i'm using a 23x15x15 box. i have the 40 hr heat packs and i'll be shipping overnight. is styrofoam mandatory? i'll wrap everythig in newspaper then place it in a bag in case of a leak and i'll add 4 heat packs.
 
looked into it and it's not worth the hassle.

i'm using a 23x15x15 box. i have the 40 hr heat packs and i'll be shipping overnight. is styrofoam mandatory? i'll wrap everythig in newspaper then place it in a bag in case of a leak and i'll add 4 heat packs.



A styrofoam box is mandatory IMO.
 
Shipping Air Cargo requires you to have an account. To ship Air Cargo you must fill out an application, pay the application fee, set up an appointment for a cargo rep to visit your business and once approved you will get a cargo account number to ship cargo. Its about a 30 day process.
Styrofamm box is mandatory. Without the R rating of a styro box the heat pack as basically useless. If you do not have experience shipping live coral (especially in extreme weather) the chances of survival is slim. I say this because you plan to wrap them in newspaper and with that method you are sure to kill everything. Please don't take my comment of being rude, I just hate to see all of the coral die for no good reason. Maybe you have a vendor close by that has experience in shipping coral and they will ship to you?
 
Last edited:
i've shipped before, just not such a huge box. i found a styrofoam cooler that will fit. I'll be shipping about 60-70 pieces so I don't have as much experience shipping a box this big. I did some research and found that air cargo won't work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new