Using Air Stone in RODI Holding Tank

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 44 gallon Brute trash can that I keep my RODI water stored. I use it for ATO and salt mix make-up (32 gallon Brute trashcan). The RODI container autofills and rarely gets empty. I've noticed a slight musty smell and do clean it regularly. The lid is pretty tight so little air gets inside the container. I was thinking of adding an air stone to keep the water fresh, moving, oxygenated, and fresh. Was going to use this air stone.

It's a mineral air stone. I was wondering the following:

1. Do I have to worry about leaching from the air stone and contaminating the pure RODI water (I get 0 TDS from my RODI filter)?
2. Do I have to worry about my RODI water not being pure from air being pumped into the water?

Thanks, in advance,
drblank1

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a powerhead and Heater in the brute? You should not be having any issues as long as the water is circulating and proper temperature. I also recommend cleaning the brutes with vinegar. I do mine once a month.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wouldn't bother - mine is mostly sealed up and never empty as well. Haven't cleaned it since I set it up 5 years ago and all is well.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a powerhead and Heater in the brute? You should not be having any issues as long as the water is circulating and proper temperature. I also recommend cleaning the brutes with vinegar. I do mine once a month.
I didn't see a need for the RODI water and would like to keep it simple in that container. I have multiple powerheads and heater in the saltmix tank. My water top-off only adds about 1 quart of water to the overall tank system (approximately 100 gallons and prior to the heater compartment) so I didn't see a need for the heater in the RODI tank. I clean the RODI tank every 2 months.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't see a need for the RODI water and would like to keep it simple in that container. I have multiple powerheads and heater in the saltmix tank. My water top-off only adds about 1 quart of water to the overall tank system (approximately 100 gallons and prior to the heater compartment) so I didn't see a need for the heater in the RODI tank. I clean the RODI tank every 2 months.
So your not using RODI?? That’s a big problem if you are not. Everyone should use RODI.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/Di water doesn't become "stagnant" as there is nothing in it to consume O2.

Aeration may reduce the musty smell just by constantly blowing away the musty air that may come from mildew.

I personally would not bother.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your not using RODI?? That’s a big problem if you are not. Everyone should use RODI.

Think he means no need for heating it. he is clearly asking about RO/DI storage.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so bottom line, if I did add an air stone, I wouldn't need to worry about leaching from the air stone or air contaminating the RODI water?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used pet store stones for years. They are inert. I have an 8" one in my fuge to bounce my cheato around. Beats having to unclog a power head with cheato chunks every couple of days.

There is a particular advantage to doing this to holding water - pH. Holding water, distilled, and even RODI can often be a CO2 sump and aeration can knock up the pH a point two. Normally I blast my freshly mixed water with a venturi piwerhead to correct this.

You typically need a pretty chunky air pump to drive a stone that big.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, there's zero reason to do it. If you choose to, there is also no reason you need to use any stone. Simple bubbles coming from a tubing end are more than adequate to aerate something that is not consuming any O2 at all.

The air will contaminate the water if the air is contaminated with something. Like pesticide fumes in a garage.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, there's zero reason to do it. If you choose to, there is also no reason you need to use any stone. Simple bubbles coming from a tubing end are more than adequate to aerate something that is not consuming any O2 at all.

The air will contaminate the water if the air is contaminated with something. Like pesticide fumes in a garage.
Thanks. The container is in my basement and fairly safe from contaminants. I have the 4 inch stone already and will keep the airline at the bottom of the tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?

As @Randy Holmes-Farley has already pointed out, there is nothing in RO/DI to make it go stagnant. The musty smell is completely normal and does not effect the water one bit.

I haven't washed or rinsed out my RO/DI brute in several years, and have yet to have an issue. I do have the musty smell, but it does not effect anything.

Running an airline into the RO/DI is just a waste of energy, and not needed.

Back