Using aluminum foil in tank pollute it ?

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some nuisance encrusting coral (monti) was thinking of wrapping the areas with aluminum foil. Its part of my structure that's to big to remove from the tank. Figured if I covered them for a 7-10 days that should kill it off. But was worried that it might leach aluminum into the water ? Is this possible in that short of time ?
Thanks in advance.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not take the risk. Possible to chisel off the parts you don't need? Or maybe consider some sort of silicone sheeting combined with rubber bands or fishing line/string to cover/wrap the areas you're concerned about? Something like this perhaps: https://amzn.to/3JZer3W

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some nuisance encrusting coral (monti) was thinking of wrapping the areas with aluminum foil. Its part of my structure that's to big to remove from the tank. Figured if I covered them for a 7-10 days that should kill it off. But was worried that it might leach aluminum into the water ? Is this possible in that short of time ?
Thanks in advance.
Ha! You know I’ve been thinking the same but using a black trash bag not aluminum foil… I’m sure the bag would be fine but who knows.. or make one of these!
IMG_3695.jpeg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance.
I’ve done this with reef epoxy before. Just smother a fat line onto the area you want to kill.

I used to call it the DMZ

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u
Ha! You know I’ve been thinking the same but using a black trash bag not aluminum foil… I’m sure the bag would be fine but who knows.. or make one of these!
IMG_3695.jpeg

mmm maybe if I had a water proof one :) Its just in tuff posts to remove. Ive got several I need to eradicate. Its a 330 tank, so talking like removing have the rock corals to get rid of it so no feasible.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u

mmm maybe if I had a water proof one :) Its just in tuff posts to remove. Ive got several I need to eradicate. Its a 330 tank, so talking like removing have the rock corals to get rid of it so no feasible.
Same boat! I have managed to kill a good size area with a large flat rocking covering it.. if I remove the rock it’s gonna fill back in.. the bag is my next go to or just pulling a large arch from my tank and acid washing it

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back