Elevated Aluminum

Dobbs1101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have rising Aluminum levels according to my last few ICP tests. Last reading was from Reef lab 0.088 mg/L. I'm currently in the process of getting all the ICP levels correct and would like to lower AL to within the range.

Could the bio cubes in my refugium be causing the issues. See picture. I've read they can sometimes leach Aluminum. I purchased MetaSorb but haven't put it in yet.

Would MetaSorb help or will it do more harm? What else could cause rising levels and what do you recommend? I've done waterchanges and all major parameters are within range, alk, ca, mg. For now I've removed the cubes. TIA. -Bob

20240209_123645.jpg 20231222_201227.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio filter media has in the past sometimes been shown to leach aluminum in the long term so it's definitely possible. Comes up less these days because less people tend to use those big bio blocks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.088 mg/L is not enough to take action, except removing any white media, IMO.

My tests showed 0.25 mg/l was not an acute problem, but 0.5 mg/L caused issues for corals where they closed up.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is accurate. Seems the rumor was nothing more than rumor

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I seem to have rising Aluminum levels according to my last few ICP tests. Last reading was from Reef lab 0.088 mg/L. I'm currently in the process of getting all the ICP levels correct and would like to lower AL to within the range.

Could the bio cubes in my refugium be causing the issues. See picture. I've read they can sometimes leach Aluminum. I purchased MetaSorb but haven't put it in yet.

Would MetaSorb help or will it do more harm? What else could cause rising levels and what do you recommend? I've done waterchanges and all major parameters are within range, alk, ca, mg. For now I've removed the cubes. TIA. -Bob

20240209_123645.jpg 20231222_201227.jpg
I would break down, and do a water change - if you're concerned

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is accurate. Seems the rumor was nothing more than rumor

I don’t generally watch videos, but The potential for MarinePure to release aluminum was not a rumor.

Some folks also tried to claim some batches that released Al were not genuine product, but a knock off imposter. I have no idea if that was true or not. Many folks have also found them to crumble apart when old.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go armpit deep to service your tank, it could be your deodorant. Many contain Al. That seems to be the source of Al in my system.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t generally watch videos, but The potential for MarinePure to release aluminum was not a rumor.

Some folks also tried to claim some batches that released Al were not genuine product, but a knock off imposter. I have no idea if that was true or not. Many folks have also found them to crumble apart when old.
Recall how it got started but doesn't the video by the manufacturer potentially put it to rest assuming it's based on actual science and not skewing the numbers to best represent their product. Not exactly sure how it removes aluminum as he claims.

As for the crumbling, I've heard the same. Not sure how one makes something that porous without being fragile but Pond Guru swears his product tough as nails. Don't know. I just use pumice. That won't crumble. No clue if it releases aluminum to the point of being detrimental or if it even gets populated internally long term with bacteria as claimed. Lasse woke me up top that likely not being the case. For me it's lighter than gravel and it's external pores between the stones along with external surface area solves my concerns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back