Using aragonite substrate in your calcium reactor for savings

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else tired of spending a lot of money to renew your calcium media? Anyone else tired of a company never having the media in stock you like? Well I was and I made a choice to try something different a few years ago. Instead of spending 25 or so on 5lb bucket of calcium media which I needed to buy 3 of to fill my reactor. I decided to try using caribsea aragonite substrate. It costs 25 dollars per bag and lasts me close to a year. Yes I know it’s a fine media so what I do to combat the small grains from entering my pump is I use ARM course media on top and bottom and make a aragonite sandwich. Also before anyone asks about clogging, I have t got a clog yet but I also change out all the lines every 6 months and I rinse the old lines out with hot water then reuse them for the next change. Since the ph is a lot lower to melt the aragonite, the ARM media doesn’t melt quickly and you can reuse the 1” of arm when you do the next media fill up. The ARM will last years. I am still on my first container after 2 1/2 years. Also I use a 3 gallon bucket to first rinse out the aragonite media with rodi water and use phosguard with a pump to try and reduce the amount of po4. I do this for a week or 2 and also stir the media once a day. So if you are running a calcium reactor this is a good option to keep yearly costs down filling up your reactor
1917EB9D-4681-40B8-AD21-5723735122BE.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else tired of spending a lot of money to renew your calcium media? Anyone else tired of a company never having the media in stock you like? Well I was and I made a choice to try something different a few years ago. Instead of spending 25 or so on 5lb bucket of calcium media which I needed to buy 3 of to fill my reactor. I decided to try using caribsea aragonite substrate. It costs 25 dollars per bag and lasts me close to a year. Yes I know it’s a fine media so what I do to combat the small grains from entering my pump is I use ARM course media on top and bottom and make a aragonite sandwich. Also before anyone asks about clogging, I have t got a clog yet but I also change out all the lines every 6 months and I rinse the old lines out with hot water then reuse them for the next change. Since the ph is a lot lower to melt the aragonite, the ARM media doesn’t melt quickly and you can reuse the 1” of arm when you do the next media fill up. The ARM will last years. I am still on my first container after 2 1/2 years. Also I use a 3 gallon bucket to first rinse out the aragonite media with rodi water and use phosguard with a pump to try and reduce the amount of po4. I do this for a week or 2 and also stir the media once a day. So if you are running a calcium reactor this is a good option to keep yearly costs down filling up your reactor
1917EB9D-4681-40B8-AD21-5723735122BE.jpeg
How does the phosphate look in the effluent

Sam

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years ago I used the same Calcium Reactor I still use today, the MTC Pro-Cal. The only media available to us was crushed coral. It worked very well.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a picture of your calcium reactor and the sandwiched media?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back