Using current rock work to seed next tank

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are moving house next year & I'll be utilising a little equity to set up an upgraded tank because...well why not:)
I currently have a reefer 170 & will be buying a NYOS G2 300.
I have a minimal rockscape in mind using arka platforms.

This will leave me with 15kg of nicely matured, pod filled AF rock from my current display.
My plan would be to transport corals to new scape & seed new tank with old rockwork in sump & use it for some extra biodiversity in what will be a minimal rockscape BB or very lightly sanded tank.

The part I'm unsure of is die off.
There's lots of encrusting Monti on current rockwork & removing & fragging will obviously leave some behind.
Would a refugium light over rock work help keep it "live" in sump?
I don't want to cause a big ammonia spike from dying coral traces etc.

What's the best approach with this kind of thing?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there fish going into the new tank? They are the ones that suffer with elevated ammonia levels that may happen from die off of whatever stuff klings to the rock. But, that will probably not hit toxic levels to fish but it will add stress during a stressful time.

If you just have corals, they will eat the stuff.

How far do you have to travel? Can you set up the new tank before the old one is taken down? My recent move (inside the house after a water leak) went poorly because I am slow and didn't have enough containers for fishes that got stressed as a result.

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there fish going into the new tank? They are the ones that suffer with elevated ammonia levels that may happen from die off of whatever stuff klings to the rock. But, that will probably not hit toxic levels to fish but it will add stress during a stressful time.

If you just have corals, they will eat the stuff.

How far do you have to travel? Can you set up the new tank before the old one is taken down? My recent move (inside the house after a water leak) went poorly because I am slow and didn't have enough containers for fishes that got stressed as a result.
Two clowns, a gramma & a copperband(too big for reefer 170 I know but he's currently very small & was always plan to upgrade tank but want to wait until move so less stress on them) so fairly minimal bioload.
Only moving 30 miles away.
I'll move the reefer 170 over & do the change to new tank in the week after settled as I've already got a 300 litre discus tank to move which will be...interesting

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, a gramma & a copperband(too small for reefer 170 I know but he's currently very small & was always plan to upgrade tank but want to wait until move so less stress on them) so fairly minimal bioload.
Only moving 30 miles away.
I'll move the reefer 170 over & do the change to new tank in the week after settled as I've already got a 300 litre discus tank to move which will be...interesting
I'm exhausted from reading this post. I pray it all goes smoothly for everyone!

Are you going to start a new build thread, or whatever they call those threads now?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back