Using dosing pump for RODI ATO?

Charlie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a dosing pump to regulate my sumps auto top off? I cannot have a gravity fed auto top off due to space and I don’t want to put a pump in my RODI reservoir. What are my options? My RODI reservoir is next to my sump and its 5 gallons

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 ATO.

With a dosing pump you'd be working with either time doses which wouldn't vary according to evaporation which is ideal OR you'd need to utilize a float switch to trigger power to the dosing pump when the need for top off water occurs.

Seriously consider the Tunze 3155 which works for the situation you're describing.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dosing pump for several months and it works OK. But as evaporation changes the dose has to change as well. I ended up with an ATO that uses an electic eye rather than a float switch. The previous ATO I used had a float switch and it was forever getting slim on it and then not working properly.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dosing pump tied to a controller for a long time. They are reliable, but slow. So for some this is a great combination, for others not so much. The issue with this setup is the dosing pump runs slow enough to allow the safety timer on the controller to trip, if it has one.

OP
OP
C

Charlie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got the CoralBox WiFi doser. I can increase or decrease the amount of water easily from my phone. but generally I use 3/4 of a gallon a day and my reservoir is 5 gallons so if I keep it dosing at 3/4 a gallon a day and just check it every couple days or so it should be fine essentially right?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got the CoralBox WiFi doser. I can increase or decrease the amount of water easily from my phone. but generally I use 3/4 of a gallon a day and my reservoir is 5 gallons so if I keep it dosing at 3/4 a gallon a day and just check it every couple days or so it should be fine essentially right?

Yup! As long as you check it every few days.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Autotopoff.com product with an Aqualifter pump on tanks for 10 years and never had a problem. My topoff water contains Kalkwasser made from pickling lime. I use two float switches to prevent over filling/dosing. Simple and cheap. Which reminds me, I need to fill my topoff container.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 79 54.1%
  • NO

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back