Using existing tank’s water and rock to establish new tank when…

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I was over exuberant with a sale and as a consequence have 20+ corals coming next week, which is the latest I could delay them. Problem: my frag tank seems to be encountering issues so I am setting up a new tank on short notice for the incoming corals.

Would it be imprudent to use water, live rock, and bio media from frag tank to establish bacterial presence in new tank?

I am ignorant of what harmful pests resides in water column vs surface, etc. Context: Currently, I have some Gonis that appear to be experiencing STN. The five or six of them (out of 40+) are located in two separate clusters on opposite sides of the tank. Additionally, I’ve had two hammers die on me in last 4-6 weeks and may have developed BJD, the last one about 2+ weeks ago. Pretty sure the first hammer died from stress from being knocked over repeatedly by a tiger conch that also spent a lot of time on top of its head. About a week or so after its demise, the hammer next to it (tentacles touched) started to recede over several days ultimately succumbing to BJD I believe (as it stank out of the water). Since then the hammers closest to the victims (next layer within about 1-3 inches) have not been bushy as they used to be. Several days ago I started dipping the hammers and Gonis in Reef Primer, etc. one of the unhappy hammers (added about a week prior) had a bunch of stuff float off immediately (could have been flatworms but not sure as I’ve had no confirmed encounters with them yet and I hastily poured out the water before taking pics). One of the four heads bailed out asap after the dip but the remainder have been much more happy and bushy. The other nearby hammers however still do not appears as their former happy selves.

In sum, I have no idea what is in the water so not sure whether to transport the water and other objects into the new tank (note: I’ve also been dosing the tank with Coral Recover so that’s another additive to the water). Of course will use Dr. Tim’s etc to get it cycled too. I have a fish only QT with media and rock but I use water taken from frag tank during at least 1 out of 2 water changes each week so not sure whether it is any safer to use stuff from
the fish QT. Though no new fish has entered the tank in 3+ months and everybody looking healthy/robust.

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really no need to reuse water.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are starting a new tank last minute because your frag tank is having issues, but you want to use rocks and/or water from that frag tank? Don't you see the fatal flaw here?

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are starting a new tank last minute because your frag tank is having issues, but you want to use rocks and/or water from that frag tank? Don't you see the fatal flaw here?
Again, I am, as I professed at the outset, ignorant about what resides in water versus what resides on a surface versus something that resides on a coral. I, for example, have no idea if STN affecting coral would infect live rock. You, however, apparently are informed. So information rather than sarcasm, which only echoes my “gut instinct” and mocks my inexperience, would be helpful.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have more details about the frag tank?
Parameters?
Age of rocks?
Lighting and schedule?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the rock from the other system? Likely, but you don't know what your decline issue is. I think that is what Cell is simply trying to say. One way or the other, you would use new water.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I am, as I professed at the outset, ignorant about what resides in water versus what resides on a surface versus something that resides on a coral. I, for example, have no idea if STN affecting coral would infect live rock. You, however, apparently are informed. So information rather than sarcasm, which only echoes my “gut instinct” and mocks my inexperience, would be helpful.
No sarcasm or mocking. Just trying to shed unnecessary info and help you see the forest through the trees. Good luck with your issue.

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have more details about the frag tank?
Parameters?
Age of rocks?
Lighting and schedule?
Hi there, I’ve increased testing to about 4 times per week for last three weeks (and previously 1-2 times) and parameters have been:

1.025 salinity

77-78 degrees

~5-10 nitrates

0.16 to 0.20 phosphates last two weeks, up to 0.24 three weeks or so prior which I had been reducing due to over correction for low/zero and due to elevation from gorilla crab traps using bunch of raw shrimp. Fine with phosphates where they are now as long as stable.

ph 8.1-8.3

CA 420-480 (had been historically around 480 but introduced bunch of new corals so on decreasing trend)

MG 1440-1480 (decreasing trend had been high as 1500+, so adding some all for reef)

ALK 8.6-8.9 (historically 8.3 to 8.6 but had increased to almost 10 I believe due to dosing so been gradually bringing it down)

Live Rock from TBS and about six/seven months old.

AI 16 lights mounted about 9” from surface using modified saxby schedule, which is currently around 40% and working back up (tank is only 13” H with corals located around 2”, 5”, and 7” from bottom and I think there was some bleaching for corals near center around 50+% so slowly adjusting with signs of recovery).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back