Using waste water from main tank in QT tank

Mr31415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save money on salt, is it possible to use the waste water from your main display tank when doing a bi-weekly water change as new replacement water for your QT tank water changes? Thinking that if nitrates are low, the fish don’t care as much about trace elements right?

Or is this a bad idea?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not exactly the same, but some times I use the waste water from my display (historically very low nutrients) to do water changes in new/small tanks. I have seen no ill effects. I think your idea would be fine.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert. I would think it's fine so long as it's one way and you're satisfied that the tank water isn't completely depleted of nutrients.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is fine to do this.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch t videos from Top Shelf, Tidal Gardens, and a variety of other companies they do this regularly. Particularly in systems where they do not have fish but want some of the fish waste to feed corals in QT.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you QT fish - its normally because of you do not want anything into your tank that your old fish do not handle (not immune for) But - IME is also very common that the established tank content microorganisms that the newcomers not are immune against. This together with aggression during the introduction into the display tank can cause diseases and dead among the newcomers.

Your idea is not only good for the wallet - IMO - its a way that all that QT fish should follow.

This of two reasons.

1) It have been shown that if you have your newcomers in an adaption box or have them in your refuge/sump during 4-7 days - aggressive introduction behavior from the established fish is lower, often non. Because this work even when the old fishes do not have visual contact with the newcomers during adaption it is possible that they got the same smell that can be the positive factor for smother introduction.

2) if your newcomer will slowly introduced to the new microfauna - it works like a vaccination.

IMO - at during the last week of QT - daily smaller WC with water from the DT should be done because of this two reasons above

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back