Using infrared light at night

Treldeham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few Wyze cameras set up to look at my tank and they have night vision which allows them to pick up radiation roughly in the 850nm range. Even though they have their own infrared lights to see, it's not enough to penetrate the water in my tank. I tried looking up to see if low powered LEDs in the visible spectrum would work, but I saw people saying that it could bother the fish and that complete darkness was best. However, I would like to be able to see what's going on in my tank at night, so I was thinking of having a strip of infrared LEDs go on at night so I can use the night vision on my cameras to see.

Would infrared light, especially for the duration of the night, cause any potential problems to the fish?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt one or two nights will make a difference but I would not run it all the time. Stuff needs to rest.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant say all fish can see it but I think they can sense it on their skin (lateral lines) like humans can

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back