Using macroalgae to ship fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely hypothetical but ... What if online fish vendors used a small amount of Chaetomorpha when shipping fish?

Chaeto consumes ammonia + carbon dioxide, releases oxygen ... The only real downside I can think of is if harmful pathogens (parasites, worms, bacteria) hitchhiked their way into the bag water via Chaeto.

;Cyclops

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely hypothetical but ... What if online fish vendors used a small amount of Chaetomorpha when shipping fish?

Chaeto consumes ammonia + carbon dioxide, releases oxygen ... The only real downside I can think of is if harmful pathogens (parasites, worms, bacteria) hitchhiked their way into the bag water via Chaeto.

;Cyclops
I wonder if there would be a risk of some fish getting tangled up in it causing injury. Might need to isolite the chaeto in the bag?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any concerns about eye or slime coat damage from rubbing in transit?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco algae only consumes carbon dioxide when it has light by photosynthesis
When there isn’t light plants use oxygen just like us and fish
So it would do more harm than good
I guess it depends on how long the fish is in transit. In dark quarters, algae and higher plants metabolize oxygen and release carbon dioxide...it could work to the detriment of the fish if transit time is more than a day or two.

I'm ignorant about plants, and I've had too much eggnog tonight. :p

Help me understand... Is it photorespiration or dark respiration which will cause this?? What's the terminology I need to be researching here?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

;Cyclops
I'm really curious about this too! Intriguing idea! Following!

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They give out carbon dioxide not only at night but during the day too. It happens because of the process of respiration in which plants take in oxygen and give out carbon dioxide. As soon as the sun rises another process called photosynthesis starts, in which carbon dioxide is taken in and oxygen is given out. So during the day it’s a positive affect

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They give out carbon dioxide not only at night but during the day too. It happens because of the process of respiration in which plants take in oxygen and give out carbon dioxide. As soon as the sun rises another process called photosynthesis starts, in which carbon dioxide is taken in and oxygen is given out. So during the day it’s a positive affect

So, shipping plants with fish sounds like a bad idea. ;Sorry It would be counterproductive. My original thought was finding a way to buy fish more time in the bag when shipping gets delayed. Since ammonia, running out of oxygen are two killers of fish in transit.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few years since APbio but, There is something called the Dark cycle or the light independent photosynthetic cycle, which turns products of the light cycle into more useable energy forms for the cell, and uses Co2. Despite being called the dark cycle I believe it is primarily limited to when the plant is actively photosynthesizing.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original thought was finding a way to buy fish more time in the bag when shipping gets delayed. Since ammonia, running out of oxygen are the main killers of fish in transit.
What about ammonia scrubbing media? Most CO2 scrubbers don't usually work wet but perhaps that could be an avenue of approach.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also this (but I've never tried them):
But I know a wholesaler who uses those bags, and pumps pure O2 into the shipping cooler before sealing it shut. They use industrial tape all around the cooler lid to seal in the oxygen.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

;Cyclops
To remove unwanted algae on macroalgae, I would leave in a bucket with lid for 4 days, chaeto show no signs of chlorophyll lose. Some needs to ship with fish see what happens. Should be beneficial, with no side effects. MHO

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know plants a tad better than microbes, but I believe the process of nitrogen fixation uses some oxygen as well to produce either N2 or NO3 (I'm not sure which would be more prevalent with bacteria...I'm assuming it would be nitrite to nitrate...which wouldn't poison poison the fish outright like ammonia would, but it might compete with them for oxygen.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a measured quantity of active nitrifying bacteria be an option?

In a confined space nitrifying bacteria can turn on fish. When I watched LADD's video on how to ship fish, they use sterile water for this reason. (Well, as sterile as possible.)

I know plants a tad better than microbes, but I believe the process of nitrogen fixation uses some oxygen as well to produce either N2 or NO3 (I'm not sure which would be more prevalent with bacteria...I'm assuming it would be nitrite to nitrate...which wouldn't poison poison the fish outright like ammonia would, but it might compete with them for oxygen.

Thanks for the information. Shipping fish w/macro is probably a bad idea for the reasons you (and others) have outlined. One workaround that was suggested (on another forum) was to use a small battery powered LED to supply the chaeto with light. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be cost effective. :(

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a small sentence but this product states it increases safe transportation time. Its description sounds a lot like waste away?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back