Using Nopox for the first time

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting GHA as always! I dumped in 20 mils yesterday and it seems like nothing has even happened. I guess the actual bacteria I was supposed to be feeding perhaps weren't at a very high population anyways. So it was probably just a waste. Coulda done with maybe 5 mils to start with.

But considering this 20 mil dose, what should I do? Wait a few days and see what happens? Then go back in with lower doses?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way we're talking about a 60 gallon system here. It's a 40b with a 20 gallon sump. This picture was taken yesterday.

20200105_125202.jpg

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox doesn’t work overnight I started with 50ml in a 550 gallon tank. Took about a month before I saw nitrates go down. Pretty much was stable until I raised it to 100ml a day. This level in a few weeks worked very well. My nitrates are now under 10. Hard to read. They started at 50-60. I don’t really concern myself with exact numbers since the colors are so hard to read but I went from red to light pink so I am happy. My water is actually clearer too. While I was able to grow corals at the higher nitrate levels. They grow much faster and look better now

also in the beginning I would get this flem looking stuff in my sump It was nasty looking but went away
hope this helps

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox doesn’t work overnight I started with 50ml in a 550 gallon tank. Took about a month before I saw nitrates go down. Pretty much was stable until I raised it to 100ml a day. This level in a few weeks worked very well. My nitrates are now under 10. Hard to read. They started at 50-60. I don’t really concern myself with exact numbers since the colors are so hard to read but I went from red to light pink so I am happy. My water is actually clearer too. While I was able to grow corals at the higher nitrate levels. They grow much faster and look better now

also in the beginning I would get this flem looking stuff in my sump It was nasty looking but went away
hope this helps
+1
Are you running a skimmer? Dosing NoPox will suck the air out of your water and kill everything...learned that the hard way.

I'd dose like 1/4 to 1/2 of what it says on the bottle.
And make sure u have an air stone handy incase this happens

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? Dosing NoPox will suck the air out of your water and kill everything...learned that the hard way.

I'd dose like 1/4 to 1/2 of what it says on the bottle.
Yes I am running a skimmer. Thank goodness for that thing I guess!

It doesn't really say anything useful on the bottle since it only has dosing ideas depending on the measured levels of nitrate; which isn't present in my tank in excess. The GHA is taking it in too fast to measure.

What I need is a Destroy GHA program. For 60 gallons what do you reckon? 3ml a day for a month?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes carbon dosing works best with skimmer.
Also can I make a suggestion

you see how your rocks form a wall. That really stops flow causing detritus to settle.
You might want to open thAt up. Make lots of caves and have as little touch the bottom as possible

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a nitrate problem I wouldn’t dose nopox or any other carbon source. You might just end with red slime in your tank. Carbon dosing is great at reducing nitrates and to lesser degree phosphates. What is your phosphates at

also what algAe grazer to do have in your tank

in my tank I was at 60 nitrates and 2.0 phosphates and I didn’t have a drop of gha or any algae. My algae grazer destroyed it. I can put a 12 inch rock covered with gha and it will be picked clean in 1 hour

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes carbon dosing works best with skimmer.
Also can I make a suggestion

you see how your rocks form a wall. That really stops flow causing detritus to settle.
You might want to open thAt up. Make lots of caves and have as little touch the bottom as possible
Speaking of detritus, there will be a crap ton of it everywhere if I start moving rocks around. This is a 0 water change tank by the way. Besides there are coral already on these rocks. It's too late for them. That said I think the water flow is fine given the gyre. If anything, it's too good, because it grows algae on a lot of surfaces.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a nitrate problem I wouldn’t dose nopox or any other carbon source. You might just end with red slime in your tank. Carbon dosing is great at reducing nitrates and to lesser degree phosphates. What is your phosphates at

also what algAe grazer to do have in your tank

in my tank I was at 60 nitrates and 2.0 phosphates and I didn’t have a drop of gha or any algae. My algae grazer destroyed it. I can put a 12 inch rock covered with gha and it will be picked clean in 1 hour
How are you managing your nutrients? Water changes? In my experience, no clean up crew can fight this level of algae. What I really need is more/better nutrient export methods.

But out of curiosity, what is your algae grazer?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of detritus, there will be a crap ton of it everywhere if I start moving rocks around. This is a 0 water change tank by the way. Besides there are coral already on these rocks. It's too late for them. That said I think the water flow is fine given the gyre. If anything, it's too good, because it grows algae on a lot of surfaces.
If there is a crap ton stuck in the rocks that’s more a reason to stir things up. Detritus accumulation over time doesn’t only raise nutrients but can lower ph.
but it’s your tank I was just offering advice

ps algae growing on rocks isn’t a good indication that you have good flow
A

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you managing your nutrients? Water changes? In my experience, no clean up crew can fight this level of algae. What I really need is more/better nutrient export methods.

But out of curiosity, what is your algae grazer?
I beg to differ :). My 15 tangs 3 rabbit fish and 200 trochus snails adults and 1000 babies will change your mind lol.
But all joking aside. No once it gets this bad you will need to clean the rocks manually or with a algae slug. They do a better job with algae before it gets out of control. Plus not many tanks can handle 15 tangs

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used nopox and liquid phosphates remover

gfo worked well but it was too up and down
Liquid is much easier for me to dose once a week.
Remember algae isn’t always a good indicator or nutrients. You can have a tank covered in algae with low and a tank with no algae with high nutrients

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With algae grazers I like trochus snails since they breed in captivity. I found that other snails tend to die off and need to be replenished over time. I haven’t bought a snail in 7 years and actually give mine away
Also I have several red legged hermits and bought 3 emerald crabs for my 265 gallon tank. I have 3 - 2 barred rabbit fish
2 yellow, purple, powder blue, chevron , 2 mata, 2 hippo , 2 tomini, white tail , blonde Naso, scopas , Atlantic blue

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ :). My 15 tangs 3 rabbit fish and 200 trochus snails adults and 1000 babies will change your mind lol.
But all joking aside. No once it gets this bad you will need to clean the rocks manually or with a algae slug. They do a better job with algae before it gets out of control. Plus not many tanks can handle 15 tangs
Trochus snails I could do. I had some before I sadly killed them though their babies may still be alive. No phosphates detectable in the tank.

I think my algae problem indicates a buildup of nutrients. Given that it's my first tank and it's a 0 water change tank, and it has fish in it that get fed...I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to think! To my knowledge there's a strong correlation between excess nutrients and algae, especially GHA. Sure some algaes grow in lower nutrient systems but we're talking about bad GHA here.

Anyways, can we get back to the recommended dosage of nopox for this tank?

Also you have 15 tangs in your tank?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that carbon dosing is challenging in reducing phosphates without possibly dosing nitrates.
If Nitrates drop too quickly, you may end up with dinos or cyano.

Besides trying a CUC, have you considered GFO?

I have had luck dosing Vibrant, but some people had not. Key is going slow and being patient....

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that carbon dosing is challenging in reducing phosphates without possibly dosing nitrates.
If Nitrates drop too quickly, you may end up with dinos or cyano.

Besides trying a CUC, have you considered GFO?

I have had luck dosing Vibrant, but some people had not. Key is going slow and being patient....
Op just stated he doesn’t have any detectable phosphates. So gfo wouldn’t help

why don’t op just get a algae slug they only eat gha. You can give it away afterwards or simple let it die once all gha is gone

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back