Using Same Salt Consistently

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me like it would be a good idea to mix up brands of salt in order to make up for anything one brand may be missing. What do you guys think?

Is it important to use one brand consistently? Why? Is it because that brand works best for you? Or because salts shouldn't be switched and causes stress?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a great idea. I've always been concerned of a toxic buildup of some element that I cant test for. And as long as the introduction is with a relatively small water change, then there shouldnt be any shock.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me like it would be a good idea to mix up brands of salt in order to make up for anything one brand may be missing. What do you guys think?

Is it important to use one brand consistently? Why? Is it because that brand works best for you? Or because salts shouldn't be switched and causes stress?

I am sure that it wouldnt make much of a difference. The most important part is knowing what your params are and what the salt will introduce.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not talking about params that can be tested for. That's the easy part. My concern lies in trace materials that may build up over a very long period of time.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have switched salts 2 times with no negative affects. I just did small water changes every week to slowly switch everything over just in case. Kinda like drip acclimating I guess.

If you were to mix different salt brands together and always use that, I would consider that to be the same as using the same salt brand all the time. I would not be found mixing salts just because I am to lazy to do it right. It would probably be cheaper to just dose what the brand you are using is lacking.

EDIT: I just read your above post. no clue

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily make up the difference by dosing. I know that instant ocean is popular among those who like to dose cal, alk, and mag because it's reliable and cheap.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back