Using water from the ocean for a tank

newbie676767

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2025
Messages
26
Reaction score
27
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is using ocean water viable. ive seen contrasting opinions how can I do it safely if possible and any tips or reccomendations
 
Yes, ocean water is viable. I live in Sydney, Australia, and most local fish stores sell NSW sea water. I do not know the process of their collection of that water, or if they filter the water in any way before selling it.
I use NSW sea water for my tank.
 
Is using ocean water viable. ive seen contrasting opinions how can I do it safely if possible and any tips or reccomendations
I've used it for a couple of years know . What I did was take a sample and tested it. If ok then I got my water there every time. Things to watch out for streams or rivers coming into the area you collect water from farmers using pesticides . Find a nice place with the water testing good and make it your spot to collect NSW . Only thing you will need to check regularly is the salinity of the natural sea water and adjust too your needs. Some people take it home and put it through a filter to remove any rubbish like bits of sea weed
 
I've used it for a couple of years know . What I did was take a sample and tested it. If ok then I got my water there every time. Things to watch out for streams or rivers coming into the area you collect water from farmers using pesticides . Find a nice place with the water testing good and make it your spot to collect NSW . Only thing you will need to check regularly is the salinity of the natural sea water and adjust too your needs. Some people take it home and put it through a filter to remove any rubbish like bits of sea weed
how did you test it?
 
I’ve been thinking of taking this idea a step further; drawing water in to a fishing vessel’s 40-50g live bait well offshore, then retaining the water when the boat is trailered and hauled home from the fishing trip…

This leaves me with 40-50G of sea water from miles offshore per-fishing trip, to be mechanically filtered then used as needed!
 
I highly discourage it unless you know a clean source with an offshore pipe bringing it in from very far from the coast.

For example, in so cal there was/is a pipe that brings NSW from off coast.

Otherwise, you risk bringing in a LOT of pollutants, toxins, pathogens, etc.
 
Otherwise, you risk bringing in a LOT of pollutants, toxins, pathogens, etc.
This!!

Here’s a fantastic local example: “municipal wastewater outfall”… sewage…

IMG_8511.png
 
Last edited:
This nano is ran on NSW
1757667391797.jpeg
 
Oh and this one
1757667513557.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new