utilizing cheato

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not be in the right forum. although I have had my tank up since april but still a newbie at this. what are the best ways to utilize cheato if I don't have room for a SUMP. I though maybe a media reactor or a HOB filter with a light. but not sure if any of those would be good. running a 60 g tank. with a eshopp psk-100 skimmer. 2 200 watt heaters. 3 wave circulation fans. 2 of them are jebao wave makers so I can adjust them(yes I know not many people like Jebao). 80 lbs of rock. and 2 sb reef light 16" basics.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not be in the right forum. although I have had my tank up since april but still a newbie at this. what are the best ways to utilize cheato if I don't have room for a SUMP. I though maybe a media reactor or a HOB filter with a light. but not sure if any of those would be good. running a 60 g tank. with a eshopp psk-100 skimmer. 2 200 watt heaters. 3 wave circulation fans. 2 of them are jebao wave makers so I can adjust them(yes I know not many people like Jebao). 80 lbs of rock. and 2 sb reef light 16" basics.
You could look into the CPR hang on back refugiums. Great way to add a fuge without a sump or plumbing in a remote tank :)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/refugiums.html

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bulk Reef Supply video showed impressive results with a chaeto in a simple hang on the back refugium. The off the shelf refugiums are not cheap but you could rig up something on your own for cheaper.

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also grab a large aquaclear and mod it into a small refugium. You will have some increased flow from the additional return on the filter and it should run you less than many of the hang on the back refuges.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a small experiment going since first of the year, I put chaeto in my overflow box. I felt bad tossing it when cutting back in sump, so I washed it out in RODI water and placed in my overflow box. No special lighting and tank is looking clearer than it has in months.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to run chaeto. Look into dragons breath. Looks good enough to be in a display tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back