UV, are you targeting White spot or algae

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BRStv

I was wondering if Ryan has decided on what he is using UV for on his home tank? White spot, Algae or using multiple UV to target both?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll be using two sterilizers, one aimed at protozoa and the other at bacteria/algae.

You can watch the livestream where Ryan and Randy talk about plumbing his tank (including UV sterilizer talk) HERE.

Jim-Elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my spin on UV sterelizers, I could explain the whole thing but it’ll bore people to tears, i recently started reefing, my tank is 8 months old, 500 litres, I got 4 fish at month 4 (a mimic tang, a blue spot unicorn tang and two clowns, month six I went for a powder brown and a lipstick tang followed by a powder brown 3 weeks ago, the parasite was prob on the powder blue but cannot be sure, the powder brown was showing severe signs of white spot almost velvet looking, stripping down my tank was not an option, it’s workable and maintainable but it’s in a wall, not happening, will
Only ever quarantine and yeah I know white spot is prob in my tank, I know that and accept it before anyone tells me this.

so I pulled the powder brown and treated him in copper but he was too weak and I lost him, I knew that if I was not going to be able to get the rest of the fish out I needed to do something, I fitted a TMC Titan 550 in my chiller circuit run by a 1000lph pump, given the run and head height it’s running a flow prob down at like 6-700lph, all fish were looking under the weather prior to fitting the uv but a even a few days in now they are showing no symptoms and are looking to be getting over it, uv can and will reduce parasite numbers, and this is exactly what I think it’s done to enable the fish to fight it and bring the parasites down to normal real ocean levels, currently it’s turned the situation around, like I said stripping the tank down was and never will be an option but from now quarantine will be strictly employed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back