UV in a HOB for QT?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this as I was searching for equipment for another QT. Wondered if anyone thought this is a good idea. Its a hang on back filter with built in UV sterilization. I'd love to get some opinions on the concept before I decide to buy it.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only during the observation phase. I use them to prevent the inevitable bacterial bloom.
These will not do anything useful against parasites and can't be used during treatment.

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only during the observation phase. I use them to prevent the inevitable bacterial bloom.
These will not do anything useful against parasites and can't be used during treatment.
I have the same opinion but the information claims otherwise. Not really any way to test it out i don't think.

ecexotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
closed loop 15 watt uv on my 40 gallon breeder qt just a pump in with a strainer for fish and a 90 degree elbow back into tank. i can slow down the flow with the ball valve to the level of exposure for qt. if i were to do it over i would have used a gate valve instead of ball valve. i got the sterilizer used at my lfs for 40 bucks with the replacement bulb for cheap and i love this thing ! fish loss in qt have gone down to almost zero.

57F74708-4DD2-4A49-9754-C1394E3DE58B.jpeg

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too was thinking of a HOB UV for QT. Any reason why it cant be used during treatment?

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it, would be good for algae and bacteria, just not sure how well it would work parasites like ich. Maybe if you used an oversized one that filtered a good bit of water every hour.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it, would be good for algae and bacteria, just not sure how well it would work parasites like ich.
Ic. From the post, was thinking that the UV interfered with some sort of treatment... would a UV interfere with antibiotics?

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic. From the post, was thinking that the UV interfered with some sort of treatment... would a UV interfere with antibiotics?
I dont think so. More concerned with its claim to eradicate free floating parasites. I may get one to test it out. Can't hurt, even if it doesn't help.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought about UV on a QT as a kind of tank transfer. Sizing would be important so that you can run it at sterilization rates rather than just clarification. Important to not use UV with many meds. Things like antibiotics and CP are destroyed. Had not heard that copper gets converted …. but I don't personally use it anymore.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran that exact HOB filter/UV on my nano for a few years. Can’t say it did anything amazing or bad. The nano never had issues until the UV adapter went out and then had GHA

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and most meds should not be used with a UV.
U/V will turn chelated copper into a lethal concentration of ionic copper it will also mess with lots of medications
I had no idea this was a thing. Are there any specific threads or articles you can point me to. Could definitely use the education on that. I had tanks 10 years plus ago. We didn't use a QT. Its a new concept for me. So knowing the relationship between UV and medications would be helpful.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really won't do anything against parasites, and as has been stated it shouldn't be used with any medications/ treatments. You can still use it if you'd like with that in consideration.

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate the opinions of the other members, and im sure the advice is good. But on what basis are we saying that the UV won't help against free floating parasites? The product says it does.
And just telling me to not use it with medications doesn't help me or anyone else learn :) my goal is to learn the process behind it and validate that what I'm being advised of isn't just something that someone told someone else that told someone else. So much of what we have given to us as information is more likely opinion and regurgitated hear say. I like to push the status quo ever so slightly. I hear at work all the time "because that's how its always been done" I HATE THAT PHRASE. It doesn't mean it's correct or the right way.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cu2+ will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than 2+. Dosing a reducer like Prime causes the same issue with copper

Here us site talking about turning off uv when medicating

Here is another article with more details

Many medications can be "denatured" by the UV light, so the sterilizer should be turned off when using medications, especially chelated copper treatments. The UV light will "break" the bond of the chelating agent, and the aquarium will have a sudden, lethal concentration of ionic copper.

OP
OP
F i s h y

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cu2+ will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than 2+. Dosing a reducer like Prime causes the same issue with copper

Many medications can be "denatured" by the UV light, so the sterilizer should be turned off when using medications, especially chelated copper treatments. The UV light will "break" the bond of the chelating agent, and the aquarium will have a sudden, lethal concentration of ionic copper.
This is perfect. Thank you for posting! I really do appreciate it.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using submerged UV in my 10 gallons QT tank right now. No medication. Only observation.

Back