UV inhibitors in brute trash cans or hardware store 5g buckets?

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about the effect of UV inhibitors used in the production of brute trash cans? Can this have a negative effect on reef tank inhabitants if they are used for mixing saltwater?

Someone mentioned reading an article a few years ago in Coral Magazine about the use of UV inhibitors in hardware store plastic 5g buckets, but they didn't remember the month or year. I have a Coral mag subscription, but haven't searched for the article in the digital archive yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about the effect of UV inhibitors used in the production of brute trash cans? Can this have a negative effect on reef tank inhabitants if they are used for mixing saltwater?

Someone mentioned reading an article a few years ago in Coral Magazine about the use of UV inhibitors in hardware store plastic 5g buckets, but they didn't remember the month or year. I have a Coral mag subscription, but haven't searched for the article in the digital archive yet.

Im not aware of any issues properly attributed to grey Brute cans and I used them for ro/di, kalkwasser, sumps, new salt water, and refugia for 20 years.

Eric Borneman once blamed them for some larval fish issues, but he never indicated if he even rinsed it out after getting it from Home Depot, and he attributed it to chemicals that actually are not used with that type of material (plasticizers).

OP
OP
Eric R.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not aware of any issues properly attributed to grey Brute cans and I used them for ro/di, kalkwasser, sumps, new salt water, and refugia for 20 years.

Eric Borneman once blamed them for some larval fish issues, but he never indicated if he even rinsed it out after getting it from Home Depot, and he attributed it to chemicals that actually are not used with that type of material (plasticizers).

Thanks for the response Randy. I've seen some photos of your Brute setups on a post a while back, which I thought of when someone brought this up as a possible issue.

I feel like Brute should sponsor you!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back