Tin in Hardware Store 5G Buckets?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is true or not, but a local couple that are really good reefers told some of us that they are nearly positive that they have gotten elevated Tin from using buckets from the Freight or Home Improvement stores. These folks are usually on the money.

If this is true, what is a good way to wash these to get it all out? Just a rinse or should some soap or chemical be used? The said that they gave the buckets a RO rinse.

In any case with so many having no idea where Tin came from, this is worth thinking about. Take it for what it is worth.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know why they think this. Did they do tests to confirm their suspicions. I ask because I have a 5 gallon bucket and 2 two gallon buckets that is used for water changes but not for water storage

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...something along the lines of the tank that they use the buckets with had high Tin from a test and the automated water change tank did not. They use the same salt, food and other things and the tanks have been set up for a long time.

There are no tests or science here... just one account from folks who are smart that kinda aligns with the unknown source of Tin in some aquariums and the fact that tin is used in the processing and manufacture of plastics.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a solution may be to not transport or store water in these buckets and only use them for taking water out of the tank. Do you use these buckets and if you do what do you plan to do

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize there were a lot of dos in that last sentence. Probably not the best writing

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salt buckets, but I have a lot. I would use a hardware store bucket, I just want to know how to wash them. I would at least use something abrasive and give a little scrub and rinse. It is also possible that any residue of any type was gone after the first use or two. I just don't know.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is true or not, but a local couple that are really good reefers told some of us that they are nearly positive that they have gotten elevated Tin from using buckets from the Freight or Home Improvement stores. These folks are usually on the money.

If this is true, what is a good way to wash these to get it all out? Just a rinse or should some soap or chemical be used? The said that they gave the buckets a RO rinse.

In any case with so many having no idea where Tin came from, this is worth thinking about. Take it for what it is worth.

One possibility. I remember I was trying to find out why I was having zinc in my display and someone mentioned hand lotion. No idea.

I'm currently using a 5 gallon bucket from HD for ATO. This has been the case since 2018 and the primary ATO holding container. I also use the Tropic Marin salt buckets for transporting water or refills. I have a pretty good history of ICP results from ATI so figured I'd do a quick check. Assuming ICP testing for tin is accurate I'm not seeing much tin activity outside a few blips early.

Just my experience / observation / results. Does not mean they are incorrect.

1693091884203.png

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
New aquarium glass could leach tin, it has to do with how glass in manufactured.

In this particular case, there are way too many other possible sources. Could be leaching from an equipment in the tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used them for anything reef related. I’ve always used food safe 5 gallon buckets from restaurant supply store.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salt buckets, but I have a lot. I would use a hardware store bucket, I just want to know how to wash them. I would at least use something abrasive and give a little scrub and rinse. It is also possible that any residue of any type was gone after the first use or two. I just don't know.
I've always cleaned suspect plastic with citric acid soak and scrub, then soak in rodi(for a couple days) in effort to draw out anything left

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I learned from brewing beer that the Lowes white buckets are the only only foodsafe buckets from the big box hardware stores. I wouldn't trust the HD orange or Lowe's blue buckets for anything sensitive.

You can usually find the white buckets in the paint section.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Organotin compounds could be used in the manufacture of plastic and would be an integral part of the plastic. Maybe these tin compounds are slowly leaching from the plastic to contaminate the water. If true, then a simple rinse may not eliminate further tin leaching.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organotin compounds could be used in the manufacture of plastic and would be an integral part of the plastic. Maybe these tin compounds are slowly leaching from the plastic to contaminate the water. If true, then a simple rinse may not eliminate further tin leaching.

That's my expectation. Cleaning will not remove it unless the cleaning process goes on for a very long period of time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned from brewing beer that the Lowes white buckets are the only only foodsafe buckets from the big box hardware stores. I wouldn't trust the HD orange or Lowe's blue buckets for anything sensitive.

You can usually find the white buckets in the paint section.
The thing about tin stabilizers is that they are available and approved for food contact plastics.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that I need to fix the handles on my salt buckets when I bend or break them instead of throwing them out. Thanks all.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading a bit more this morning about plastics with tin stabilizers, there is an anecdotal trend of tin in tanks where cheap Chinese pumps are being used. Wonder if they use any PVC with Organotin in it. I am going to write some of these companies to see if they know how their pumps are manufactured.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin can also come from pvc pipe and tubing, which has been my experience it it took a long time for it to stop leaching. I would be surprised if tin had time to soak into water from temporary bucket use vs being in 78° running system

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not directly related to the conversation, but I was using a lowes blue bucket for my ATO. A few weeks into it, the bottom of the bucket spontaneously cracked. Luckily I heard dripping before the puddle got too large. Now I use a glass aquarium.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back