Converting a Freshwater 10G with 5G Sump

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tetras are aging out and slowly dying off in ones and twos in my 10G and 5G freshwater tanks. So I was considering converting the 10G to a display reef with the 5G as a sump, since they're on a stand together in exactly this configuration.

Has anybody done this with smaller tanks? I can see there are HOB overflows that would allow me to have a sump, but I could also just use a HOB marine filter as a one-and-done option. I'd prefer not to drill as I'm kind of hamfisted and I suspect I'd shatter the tank. This would be my first time using a sump, I've only had AIOs and a no-filter quarantine so far.

Any thoughts as to the better option? Would a sump work or should I stick with a basic power filter considering the tank size?

For the record, these are bog-standard stock Eurobrace-style tanks that you can buy at any pet store for $20 or less, probably manufactured by Aqueon. Copper-free. :cool:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're set on the 10G, I'd recommend you go with a quality HOB filter. Something like this would do great, for saltwater it's best to size up vs the recommendation for tank size: https://amzn.to/43zd0C3

If you want to go the sump route, you might as well pick up a larger tank like a 40 breeder from petco on $1 per gallon sale, easier to work with, drill etc.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're set on the 10G, I'd recommend you go with a quality HOB filter. Something like this would do great, for saltwater it's best to size up vs the recommendation for tank size: https://amzn.to/43zd0C3

If you want to go the sump route, you might as well pick up a larger tank like a 40 breeder from petco on $1 per gallon sale, easier to work with, drill etc.
I'm working with the space and resources I have. I have these tanks already and the space planned out for them, so it makes sense to convert the existing ones. I can even reuse the heaters.

I don't have anywhere to put a 40 breeder, that's why I'm considering converting the existing ones in the first place. It's not an issue of being "set" on the 10, it's what I have available to me.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a 2.5 AGA with a 2.5 AGA sump. It's really tricky to have usable space in a small sump. I'd want at least a 10 gallon to have decent space.

I currently have a 5.5 gallon display, and have a hydor koralia nano, and a Fluval Aquaclear 50 on it. I can't imagine needing much more on it.

Petco is doing the 50% off sale on aqueon standard glass tanks- I'd pick up a ten and do a combo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back