UV light penetrating casing

implusebuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a pentair smart uv 40w running about 600GPH flow for a 220 gallon plus reef tank. Ive owned the unit for about 3 years now and have changed the bulb and glass sleeve twice. It seems to work with out issue until month week when i walked into my garage and saw that it was glowing. looks like the casing is thinning out. The bulb isnt broken or the sleeve. I spoke to pentair and the rep has never come across this issue before. They also said they have a branding issue so they cant sell any replacment parts. Just wondering if anyone has come across this in the past and if i should just toss the unit or is it safe to continue to use. Its been shut off for a few weeks and the section that is see through is pretty much still soft to the touch.

IMG_6556.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Never seen that before... If it's soft to the touch I'm inclined to think it won't hold up long-term. I'm not sure if epoxying a section of PVC would be an option or if you wouldn't be better off replacing it.

OP
OP
I

implusebuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Never seen that before... If it's soft to the touch I'm inclined to think it won't hold up long-term. I'm not sure if epoxying a section of PVC would be an option or if you wouldn't be better off replacing it.
its a big UV so doing that wouldnt work. Yeah i think i have to find a replacing for the housing somewhere. bummer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow surprised at that, specially with the price tag of those units.

Meanwhile my $50 jebao unit is still going strong 10 years later without an issue. I've replaced the sleeve a few times, and the bulb annually.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That will start leaking soon. Same thing happened to me. Same exact unit I believe. I carefully used a heat gun to remove the two glued T-fittings on each end (search youtube for: how to remove pvc fittings from pipe with heatgun) and replaced the center section with a new cut piece of 2" black pvc pipe and glued back together.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Ironwill723 ....I actually JUST had to replace my Pentair after 3 years of use for the same thing. Starting leaking towards the bottom due to degradation of the plastic. I just recently replaced it with an Aqua which I have read is better constructed. Fortunately I happened to walk by as the water was seaping out of the unit.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s mine
Just turned it off going to try the heat gun method , such a shame with such expensive unit
FA9AD983-CD34-4C47-9374-E8005DCF5194.jpeg

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a pentair smart uv 40w running about 600GPH flow for a 220 gallon plus reef tank. Ive owned the unit for about 3 years now and have changed the bulb and glass sleeve twice. It seems to work with out issue until month week when i walked into my garage and saw that it was glowing. looks like the casing is thinning out. The bulb isnt broken or the sleeve. I spoke to pentair and the rep has never come across this issue before. They also said they have a branding issue so they cant sell any replacment parts. Just wondering if anyone has come across this in the past and if i should just toss the unit or is it safe to continue to use. Its been shut off for a few weeks and the section that is see through is pretty much still soft to the touch.

IMG_6556.jpeg

What’s up with their website not listing any products for sale under UV? That is where I always bought my bulbs

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back