UV or chiller??

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO as you guys saw in the keeping tank cool thread I need to cool my tank about 10degrees for 2 months out of the year.

I found a deal on a used JBJ 1/10HP or I can get a used pentair 40W UV both are asking the same price. I will run the UV 24/7 where the chiller only use 2 maybe 3 months of the year.

i prob. get buy cooling with fans room only gets hot from around 2to 8pm freeze a gallon jug and adding fans prob. do the trick. + by the time I move my reef over and get the new floor done and tank cycles only have aug/early sept. to think about...

so if your budget could only get one right now what would it be??

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get the chiller since if the temperature gets too high, things will die.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true. but I am not 100% on the tank temp yet so I think I am gonna wait until I am sure its a must. once new floor is in, reef moved to smaller tank, tank cleaned new rock gets here, set up and cycled then i will for sure know.
wish I could just buy both...haha

dang hobby is expensive I already took a 2nd temp job just to get this project going, and help out a friend.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years ago when I got into seahorses I had a UV on the tank. I thought it would help with bad bacteria which I knew was a great danger to the ponies. However, the pathogenic bacteria are not water borne. They grow and reproduce in areas of the tank or sump where decomposing food or detritus is collecting so a UV sterilizer really has no effect on them. It may help reduce some algaes that are in the water column but it also may kill some of your beneficial copepods too. When mine quit working a couple of years ago I did not replace it and have not noticed any negative effects at all. A UV will add some heat and if your tank is running right at 74 even a degree or 2 is significant. I vote chiller if you need one and niether if you don't need one.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the benthic bacteria that most affect our seahorses are NOT controlled by the UV because few if any will end up passing through the UV.
As for temperature, I couldn't afford to buy chillers for all my tanks so I control the temperature by using the home air conditioning that at my age, I too enjoy more than putting up with heat.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well alright you guys are the experts here so UV is out. great that saves me some money. :)
was just trying to do this "right" the 1st time.

if I move the tank down stairs that will even save me more money. might even be able to get a few of those softies I have been checking out! + it wold make water changes much easier...

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide down the line to go with a UV, Pentair is very solid. I currently have the Pentair High Output Smart UV (50 watts), and it is built very well. In the past, I ran Aqua UV's, and IMO, Pentair is better quality. As far as the chiller, I have been running a JBJ 1/4 HP for years, and it has been working with no issues.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure I am gonna use either to be honest. but was just thinking of getting a cheaper UV from ebay a 72W or 50W just to help keep water clean and less glass cleaning. but for know there are lots of expenses so if there not 100% necessary I am gonna skip them for now.

if I do decided to keep tank in the hotter part of the house I will for sure use the JBJ if I go the way chiller .
but more and more I am thinking about just moving the tank. I have to anyway to redo -well really do the floors.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back