UV questions.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I'm looking to add a UV to my AIO as my fish seem to get white spot but for a couple fish it looks worse than others who eventually overcome it, my AIO is just a glass box with a Tunze filter inside it, how would I go about attaching a UV to it in terms of whether the pump and return pipe go?

2. Should you ALWAYS go as big as you can when getting a UV?

Thanks.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I've seen a UV system for an AIO tank arrangement on bulkreefsupply and marine depot. You might want to look at those sites and see if it would work for your system. Otherwise, you can always plumb a regular UV into your system...it's just going to be a little more obvious going over the rim in the tank or in the back section. Killing parasites require slower water flow over the UV light that you choose. Most say get the biggest you can afford...but that's within reason! A smaller AIO would probably be fine with a 15w system. When you look into UV systems, most manufacturers will list the recommended tank size and flow rate required for parasites vs algae control.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I've seen a UV system for an AIO tank arrangement on bulkreefsupply and marine depot. You might want to look at those sites and see if it would work for your system. Otherwise, you can always plumb a regular UV into your system...it's just going to be a little more obvious going over the rim in the tank or in the back section. Killing parasites require slower water flow over the UV light that you choose. Most say get the biggest you can afford...but that's within reason! A smaller AIO would probably be fine with a 15w system. When you look into UV systems, most manufacturers will list the recommended tank size and flow rate required for parasites vs algae control.

Reason I'm opting to go bigger is so I can use it for my upgrade which is a few months away hence why I don't mind a pump being an eyesore in the display for now. I'm looking at this model, it doesn't say whether the 4000 litre per hour is for parasites or algae.

Thoughts?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I'm opting to go bigger is so I can use it for my upgrade which is a few months away hence why I don't mind a pump being an eyesore in the display for now. I'm looking at this model, it doesn't say whether the 4000 litre per hour is for parasites or algae.

Thoughts?
That's a huge UV at 80w. I have a 57W Aqua on my 75g tank and it is way over kill.

Make sure you can easily get new bulbs and crystal sleeves for it before purchase. Those are the things that will need to be replaced more often.

I run around 350gph through my 57W system for dino control...which should be good for parasites as well. The manufacturer recommends around 1000gph through mine for even parasite control. But, mine is primarily for dino control.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a huge UV at 80w. I have a 57W Aqua on my 75g tank and it is way over kill.

Make sure you can easily get new bulbs and crystal sleeves for it before purchase. Those are the things that will need to be replaced more often.

I run around 350gph through my 57W system for dino control...which should be good for parasites as well. The manufacturer recommends around 1000gph through mine for even parasite control. But, mine is primarily for dino control.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but you know how if you go with too much of an oversized skimmer it doesn't work well is that the same case with UV's?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a stupid question but you know how if you go with too much of an oversized skimmer it doesn't work well is that the same case with UV's?
I don't believe so, you can adjust the flow through the UV.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back