UV Safety

stoney85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much UV is produced by the UV bulbs used for aquariums, specifically the lights that sit above the tank outside the water?
I worry about skin cancer and know how dangerous tanning bulbs are so am curious how safe the lights used for fish tanks are. I recently sat next to a large fish tank which had what appeared to be a fluorescent tube over the top of and outside of the actual tank with a bit of plastic separating it from the water. I was able to see it through the tank glass and this bit of plastic so hoping this plastic and glass also protected me from any potential risk.

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the glowing indicator light, I suspect not very much because it's probably diffused quite a bit. As long as you're not staring into the actual UV bulb itself for long periods of time - you should be fine.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much UV is produced by the UV bulbs used for aquariums, specifically the lights that sit above the tank outside the water?
I worry about skin cancer and know how dangerous tanning bulbs are so am curious how safe the lights used for fish tanks are. I recently sat next to a large fish tank which had what appeared to be a fluorescent tube over the top of and outside of the actual tank with a bit of plastic separating it from the water. I was able to see it through the tank glass and this bit of plastic so hoping this plastic and glass also protected me from any potential risk.

Thanks
Unless specially made (and unlikely over an aquarium) fluorescent tubes give off very little uv-a, none or a teeey teeny tiny bit of uv-b (tanning bed stuff) and no uv-c.
Most plastics (again unless specially manufactured, again uncommon) will block most uv after about 380-ish nm's. How much blocked does depend on thickness.

If the lighting was metal halide or any mercury based lamps things change though.
Only reason I even mentioned this is you wanted to know about aquarium lighting and mh's are used.

As in anything, and any light really you shouldn't be staring at it.
There is contrary data but usually there is a specific reason like compact fluorescent bulbs and coating defects.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Risk of skin cancer (melanoma) secondary to UV light exposure is proportional to duration of the exposure, UV intensity but also increases if people are exposed to UV light in their childhood vs adulthood. Hence one of the highest incidence of skin cancer is in Australia.
So unless you are a toddler and you sit under UV light for several hours a day for next 10-15 years, your chances of developing skin Cancer from UV aquarium light are asymptotically approaching ZERO (0)

OP
OP
S

stoney85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the glowing indicator light, I suspect not very much because it's probably diffused quite a bit. As long as you're not staring into the actual UV bulb itself for long periods of time - you should be fine.
Ok thank you I’ve found an older photo on Google of the tank and light in question

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
S

stoney85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s UVB and UVC generating bulbs you’re worried about, you won’t find them over an aquarium.
Thanks this is the light over the tank im referring too

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
S

stoney85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless specially made (and unlikely over an aquarium) fluorescent tubes give off very little uv-a, none or a teeey teeny tiny bit of uv-b (tanning bed stuff) and no uv-c.
Most plastics (again unless specially manufactured, again uncommon) will block most uv after about 380-ish nm's. How much blocked does depend on thickness.

If the lighting was metal halide or any mercury based lamps things change though.
Only reason I even mentioned this is you wanted to know about aquarium lighting and mh's are used.

As in anything, and any light really you shouldn't be staring at it.
There is contrary data but usually there is a specific reason like compact fluorescent bulbs and coating defects.

Great thank you for the detailed response, this is the light and tank I am referring to for reference

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 48

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fresh water tank. No way any lighting used is as strong as on a reef tank so you are basically as safe if not safer then sitting in a room with a regular lamp lighting it. I'd worry more about going out into the sunshine. Or in this case the light of a full moon.

OP
OP
S

stoney85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fresh water tank. No way any lighting used is as strong as on a reef tank so you are basically as safe if not safer then sitting in a room with a regular lamp lighting it. I'd worry more about going out into the sunshine. Or in this case the light of a full moon.
Phew thank you I just panicked with it being a blue light and therefore assumed it was a uv light.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew thank you I just panicked with it being a blue light and therefore assumed it was a uv light.

A fair concern. Just for grins, even if it were a germicidal UVC producing sterilization bulb, or a UVB producing bulb like the zoomed ones used for reptiles, the plastic covering on the lights and the aquarium glass itself would block all but the least concerning trace amounts of UV. Furthermore, if you were to hang one of the aforementioned bulbs in open air, at a comparable distance, the amount of photons reaching your skin and eyes would be negligible due to your distance from them, as well as your short exposure time.

When dealing with radiation exposure, from UV all the way to gamma, the three factors that serve to increase or decrease your lifetime exposure level are time, distance, and shielding. IF it were a UV bulb, being the output of the bulb in question is extremely low, you also had the benefit of distance, short exposure time, and shielding of glass and plastic.

Remember tanning bed bulbs require dozens in quantity, at incredibly high output, placed inches away from the skin for hours upon hours of continuous exposure over course of months to years before you reach dangerous exposure levels.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fair concern. Just for grins, even if it were a germicidal UVC producing sterilization bulb, or a UVB producing bulb like the zoomed ones used for reptiles, the plastic covering on the lights and the aquarium glass itself would block all but the least concerning trace amounts of UV. Furthermore, if you were to hang one of the aforementioned bulbs in open air, at a comparable distance, the amount of photons reaching your skin and eyes would be negligible due to your distance from them, as well as your short exposure time.

When dealing with radiation exposure, from UV all the way to gamma, the three factors that serve to increase or decrease your lifetime exposure level are time, distance, and shielding. IF it were a UV bulb, being the output of the bulb in question is extremely low, you also had the benefit of distance, short exposure time, and shielding of glass and plastic.

Remember tanning bed bulbs require dozens in quantity, at incredibly high output, placed inches away from the skin for hours upon hours of continuous exposure over course of months to years before you reach dangerous exposure levels.
Yeah, that's what I was about to mention. I don't think the sun can really make it past a pane of typical window glass (which is why tanning indoors doesn't really work out).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back