UV sterilizer actual vs stated watt draw - Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt UV.... Supposedly it has good reviews and has been around a long while. The company's flowrate charts are also a bit different from other uv companies... Aqua UV has higher rated flowrates through their lights for elimination of algea spores... Even their pathogen flowrates are Hifher than other. Their charts are on their website

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt UV.... Supposedly it has good reviews and has been around a long while. The company's flowrate charts are also a bit different from other uv companies... Aqua UV has higher rated flowrates through their lights for elimination of algea spores... Even their pathogen flowrates are Hifher than other. Their charts are on their website
Remember, it's the UV lamp that determines the mass of the power consumption. A new, good quality, 57-watt UV lamp bulb will draw 57-watts. The quality and consistency of lamp bulb manufacturing is what makes the most difference.

OP
OP
DrewFish

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, it's the UV lamp that determines the mass of the power consumption. A new, good quality, 57-watt UV lamp bulb will draw 57-watts. The quality and consistency of lamp bulb manufacturing is what makes the most difference.
Mine is brand new drawing 42 watts despite it's 58 watt rating. Had it been a year old that would make sense. If it's an equivalency thing like manufacturers do with led bulbs, they should say so and identify what the actual watts are. Like a 27 watt LED is a 100 watt incandescent equivalent at least in terms of lumen output.

OP
OP
DrewFish

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to some one at Aqua UV who was in sales, not a tech person, said that he didn't believe the Apex, and asked if I was using any other equipment on the Apex. He had never used an Apex before. I don't think he understood that the Apex lists the wattage draw on a per-outlet basis. SMH. He said they would not sell the units as 57 watts if it was not actually 57 watts. I told him to talk to their tech person and get back to me. Maybe I just had a bad bulb.

I wish I caught his name. He also doubted the accuracy of a kill-a-watt. WOW Will let you know what the results are.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical for what I see out of AquaUV. Specs for flow numbers wonky, current draw wonky, etc. I use the Lifegard ProMax 90watt and it draws 87watts on my apex.
1599729230178.png

Blackjack1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only getting 110 volts at your Apex. Watts is amps time voltage. The Watts indicated aren't correct because the amps is showing 0.2 amps. 0.2x110 = 22watts.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brand new Aqua Uv 57 watt my apex draw is 44 watts. My 25watt unit draws 25 watts all as measured on my Apex. I think Aqua has a problem with there bulbs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back