UV sterilizer closed loop help

Ronk1109

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57 watt classic aqua ultraviolet sterilizer that I’m debating running it in a closed loop from display tank through the uv and back to display. My questions are if I have a sand bed will putting a pump in the tank stir things up too much and suck sand through? And I’ve built a pretty large canopy I was going to attach the uv above the tank hidden by the canopy. Will this work? First time installing one and I want to do this properly.
This is for a 180 gallon DT and 40 gallon sump. I was debating on using a sicce syncra 5 for the pump. Thank you.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most certainly anything that gets suspended in the water column can go through the UV. I have my UV attached to my sump.

If mounted in the canopy, think about how you would service it down the road, etc.

OP
OP
R

Ronk1109

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most certainly anything that gets suspended in the water column can go through the UV. I have my UV attached to my sump.

If mounted in the canopy, think about how you would service it down the road, etc.
It would actually be easier for me to access it from up top rather than below. I’ve read that mounting in the display is the most efficient method but didn’t know how to go about it

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my UV as a closed loop but use and external COR 20 pump. I have my supply tube (1"pvc) about 5 inches off the sand bed. Pipe runs up over the top of the tank and down to the pump where it feed a 40 watt pentair. I run the return line to the opposite side of the tank as not to re sterlize the same water immediately. Right now I am running the COR 20 at about 1/2 speed. If that makes any sense.

OP
OP
R

Ronk1109

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my UV as a closed loop but use and external COR 20 pump. I have my supply tube (1"pvc) about 5 inches off the sand bed. Pipe runs up over the top of the tank and down to the pump where it feed a 40 watt pentair. I run the return line to the opposite side of the tank as not to re sterlize the same water immediately. Right now I am running the COR 20 at about 1/2 speed. If that makes any sense.
That’s great info. So pretty much any pump would work then? I just happen to have a sicce it’s 1500 gph I believe. And I would be mounting the uv over the tank instead of under. That would still work ?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make sure the inlet and outlet are oriented upward so that the unit will stay flooded at all times, including if the pump goes down.

debug3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to plumb the UV too...but closed loop may get some fish waste and food into the chamber of the UV?

achillestangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to runthe uv on the suction side of the pump or can u have it on the return side ?

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good questions. UV is an afterthought for me and trying to figure out where I could locate these in the future is more than a bit of a challenge. My return pump is already branched off to feed a skimmer so recirculating seems to be the best bet but recirculating the sump seems to be a waste. Really should have considered this earlier.

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second pump for uv alone I can control the flow also act as a back up if other pump fails. It's in my sump

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out I can actually mount 2 smaller units on the back of my tank just before my bulkheads. Just "T" off the return line and put in gate valves.

Closed loop is kind of hard but as long as all water entering the tank is sterilized and you have decent flow it should be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back