UV Sterilizer flow rate

cbraz4unc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I figure out the correct flow rate for my UV Sterilizer? The UV chart that came with the instructions didn't show my exact size tank in the chart so I'm a bit confused on how to figure the flow rate.

I've installed an Aqua UV sterilizer Classic 40W to my newly/ beginner setup which is a 180 gal reef tank that has a synergy reef cl-44 sump (spec sheet says total water vol 58gal.)

The pump I'm using with the sterilizer is a Sicce Syncra sdc 6.0 wifi controllable pump but now I'm not sure if this is the right size pump.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it flows too fast through the filter the light doesn't have a good kill rate. If it goes to slow, it sterilises the water, which is what the light is supposed to do. Exact flows of gallons/liters per minute through the unit are not required, just don't run it faster than it's designed for. If you flow slower it will be fine. HTH

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I figure out the correct flow rate for my UV Sterilizer? The UV chart that came with the instructions didn't show my exact size tank in the chart so I'm a bit confused on how to figure the flow rate.

I've installed an Aqua UV sterilizer Classic 40W to my newly/ beginner setup which is a 180 gal reef tank that has a synergy reef cl-44 sump (spec sheet says total water vol 58gal.)

The pump I'm using with the sterilizer is a Sicce Syncra sdc 6.0 wifi controllable pump but now I'm not sure if this is the right size pump.
I run the same Sicce SDC 6.0 pump with a AquaUV 57-watt on my 200-gallon system. I run it @65% - which is below the minimum flow for parasite control - so you'd be fine running your pump at anywhere between 45-60% for similar parasite control.

OP
OP
C

cbraz4unc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same Sicce SDC 6.0 pump with a AquaUV 57-watt on my 200-gallon system. I run it @65% - which is below the minimum flow for parasite control - so you'd be fine running your pump at anywhere between 45-60% for similar parasite control.
Thanks! I'm not sure if it matters or not but my main purpose I'm wanting to use mine for its Algae and bacteria control. Also I used a reducer coupling to use 1/2" tubing from the pump to the UV Sicce that size reduce coupling came with my UV unit. Not sure if that will drastically kill my flow rate.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm not sure if it matters or not but my main purpose I'm wanting to use mine for its Algae and bacteria control.
The minimum flow rates for algae vs. parasites is listed on Aqua Ultraviolet's website under the specific UV model. Then you need to calculate your approximate head height, ie: 1' vertical = 1, 10' horizontal = 1, 90-degree turn = 1, etc. and compare that to the performance chart for the specific Sicce model.

That will give you your maximum flow rate @100%, then you need to make your best guestimate from there based on how fast you want to run the pump.

In general, algae-only flow rates are very hard to achieve. I'm going off memory, but I think for my UV they're something well in excess of 1,500Gph.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased the exact same thing, except i went with a sdc 7.0 which i wish we would have gotten the 6.0. i was haggled into buying the bigger pump from a reef supply store online. i'm told that i should be running between 300-400gph? anyway its running at 310gph on my system which is 30% power, although at 100% its around 425 according to the 1in flow sensor. debating if i should run it even slower. how big are your lines? im using 3/4 inch hose all the way with only 1 - 90 degree elbow.

Attachments

• 20230716_103048[1].jpg
    20230716_103048[1].jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
C

cbraz4unc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 1/2" black vinyl tubing from the pump to the UV and 1/2" returning back to sump. Just for reference, I used this method as I really like BRSTV & one of their episodes use this type of setup.

I also did an old school method to see what my flow rate is as I don't have a flow meter installed. I took a gallon container, placed it under the return tube, timed it for how long it took to fill to 1 gal (11 secs), divided that into sixty secs (60÷11) which gives me how many gals per min, then multiply by sixty (60x5.45) so I'll get my flow rate per hour. So right now I'm getting a flow rate at 327gph at 65%

Attachments

• 20230716_122832.jpg
    20230716_122832.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 71

z4chburris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you able to use some sort of flow meter? I've found this the easiest method to remove the guesswork. I have a manifold coming off my return that feeds into the UV, and my return pump has a flow meter.

I make sure to compensate for the turnover I want to have the tank at (5x to 10x), and then increase the flow rate to reach the gph I want to run through the UV (I typically run 70-100gph), and then open up the ball valve on the manifold until my flow meter comes back down to my tank turnover gph.

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3764.jpg
    IMG_3764.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 64

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back