UV sterilizer in line with media reactor?

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 100 gallon tank and have decided to run my RO and media reactors thru the wall in the garage. I have started a manifold but have not finalized design. Would it be bad to run UV and gfo/carbon reactors in series or should they be independent or in parallel? They would still be feed from 1 pump via the manifold. Any pro's or con's to having the UV feed from the media reactor?

16238570257021445261093725164947.jpg 16238570641788795688966422682613.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be independent. UV for fighting algae/dinos needs 8x tank volume per hour at sufficient dosage to make up for the rapid reproduction rate of some types of algae (double in 20 min under right conditions). Also, you'll need lower flow for higher dosage for pathogens.

If I were designing new (and when I have new) I will have closed loop with variable flow dedicated to UV. Closed loop in this case is from tank to tank and not going through sump at all.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. My return pump is pushing 8x thru the manifold. A little less considering head and plumbing restrictions. I would prefer to keep the display clean of extra stuff. How do you plumb a UV from display back to display? Do you have a pump in display or have you drilled out additional bulkheads in display?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. My return pump is pushing 8x thru the manifold. A little less considering head and plumbing restrictions. I would prefer to keep the display clean of extra stuff. How do you plumb a UV from display back to display? Do you have a pump in display or have you drilled out additional bulkheads in display?
Take a look at threads discussing 'Closed Loop' recirculation flow. Since it's a closed loop with no air gap (sump) you'll have a pump install almost anywhere (lower point is good) and gravity feed from tank will provide the suction head no problem. Just plumb your UV into that line. What I've always planned is one suction inlet center low in display with two returns high towards outside. That does require you to trust plumbing since any leaks won't stop until tank is drained. I do trust plumbing - it's low pressure compared to my home and I don't lose any sleep on it here. Plus countless reefers used closed loop flow before the small powerheads we have now without issue.

There are other methods but that will be HOB/in-tank overflow boxes.

I'm also hoping this cuts down need for a lot of those powerheads as well. Love a clean looking tank.

Sorry wasn't too clear - no, you don't need a pump in the display - just inlets and outlets - pump will be in cabinet (or where ever you wish).

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally, I had planned (and currently have) a UV unit powerful enough that at high flow rates need for algae/bacteria - it produces enough wattage for sufficient exposure to kill pathogens. That way I don't need to adjust flow and I'm continually protected against both.

Two drawbacks to consider (and I'm still debating with myself on next setup).

1) It's more expensive - you have to buy bigger unit if you want to run system where you're protected against algae/bacteria and pathogens (or dinos and ich) all the time.

2) At the exposure to kill/damage pathogens - it's going to do the same to phytoplankton. Now, there's not a lot of phytoplankton in our tanks unless we add it (and it's not self sufficient so it always has to be added - as I understand it). But if you plan on adding phyto - you'll need to make sure your UV is set up for adjustable flow or turn it off. I don't ever plan on adding phyto - so pretty sure I'm going to go with being protected for both algae and phathogens but it is a consideration you should be aware of.

Don't mean to ramble on, but been thinking about this a lot last several weeks and helps to type it all out.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you drill the tank for additional in and out flow? Thanks for the input. I think I am going to keep everything in the sump to avoid the need to drill.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back