UV sterilizer maintenance

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do ya'll perform routine maintenance on your UV. I've cleaned my quartz sleeve every three months and it always looks perfect BEFORE I start. Now it's approaching one yo and I'm supposed to replace the BULB and QUARTZ SLEEVE. I understand the bulb may loose something over time but the sleeve as well?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulb once a year, quartz every 2-3 years (I look for cloudyness that wont clear with citric acid). Usually pull it every 6 months to inspect as my 57w & 25w are both a pain to remove from the system completely to flush debris out.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned the quartz sleeve on mine at year 1 and replaced it at year 2. It probably would've kept being fine to use though based on inspection.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulb once a year, quartz every 2-3 years (I look for cloudyness that wont clear with citric acid). Usually pull it every 6 months to inspect as my 57w & 25w are both a pain to remove from the system completely to flush debris out.
Mine is super easy to access as I have plenty of room to pull it out and it's mounted vertically.

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be nice to have the fishroom, lol. Mine are vertically stuffed behind or in the tank stand.
Just set this up a year ago. 30 years ago I had an upstairs tank with the filter in the basement and found it convenient . Decided to put this tank on a common wall with the basement for that reason. Much easier than plumbing from upstairs to downstairs. My primary concern was figuring out where to put that UV.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back