OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you are getting a lot of bad advice from people that have probably had a tank for 3 months and don't even have UV. It boils down to this... if you want 25w to work, you must pull water out of your display, run it through the UV and then return it to the display. This us called a closed loop display. People are recommended certain pumps. Those pumps advertise a certain flow rate but you will be lucky to get 25% of that advertised flow rate. For something as important as killing protozoa you want to get a timer and a gallon jug. I don't even recommend running it inline from your sump's return to display. It's just too small. You won't have a high enough turnover rate once you set the proper flow rate. If it's not too late, send it back and get a minimum of 40w. Another thing to consider is that if you have a proper quarantine protocol, you shouldn't need to target protozoa.
If I was to get an Aqua UV 40w, what pump would you recommend for it? So basically what I'm getting out of this is that I should get a second return pump and get the water right after my mechanical filtration and put that water through the UV, then the water finally ends up in my return pump chamber.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS525 (112 gallon display, 31 gallon sump)

I purchased a 25w AquaUV that I have installed in the sump using a Sicce 3.0. I have not tested the flow rate, but based on the pump curves and my piping I’m estimating a flow in the neighborhood of 300gph which according to Auqa UV is sufficient for parasites.

I recently moved a Scopi Tang into the display before turning the UV on full time and immediately found Ich in the display :-(.

I’m now running the UV 24x7 and have not seen the ich return at this point. Only a few weeks runtime since the Ich but so far so good - I’m happy with the 25W.

DozzerB7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon reef tank so roughly 110 gallon total with sump. I can get a used aqua uv 57watt for cheap. Can I use this? Can too big of a UV sterilizer be bad for a reef? Im looking to control parasites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back