UV sterilizer questions -

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still kicking around a UV for my new tank....it's total volume is about 106 gallon, its a 80 gallon display with a 26 gallon sump. I'm looking at an in-line icecap 27w UV. Does anyone have any input on these units? Should it be plumbed before the sump or after the sump? I'm assuming flow rate for bacteria and protozoas would be around 240 gph? At the slower flow rate will it still aid in algae removal (free floating)? What's the best way to control/measure the flow to get it plumbed? Thanks!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still kicking around a UV for my new tank....it's total volume is about 106 gallon, its a 80 gallon display with a 26 gallon sump. I'm looking at an in-line icecap 27w UV. Does anyone have any input on these units? Should it be plumbed before the sump or after the sump? I'm assuming flow rate for bacteria and protozoas would be around 240 gph? At the slower flow rate will it still aid in algae removal (free floating)? What's the best way to control/measure the flow to get it plumbed? Thanks!
I dont have any info on that model, but I'd put it on your return pump if you have 2x holes in the tank for return lines plumb it on one, I'd put a by pass but definitely on the return lines not the drain, the drain line you don't have as much control on flow.

Then as far as flow hook a hose up to your return nozzle and fill up a 5 gallon bucket and do the math on how long it takes to fill up. If you put a valve before the uv you can dial the flow down if its to much.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say definitely run a uv if you'd like for things like water clarity, algea, bacteria, etc. Im not so certain about the fish diseases and parasites. I think its best to qt for these things, its known to help with them on lower flow but shouldn't be regarded the problem solver. From what I understand is you need about 8x contact time for that use so it would be around 75 gph, but most likely slightly higher. Im not finding any information about it online, besides max flow 600gph. And when choosing a pump factor in head hight witch is difficult to judge with a uv. The way I measure my flow rate is with a 5gallon bucket in the bath tub. Set it up the way you'll have it on the tank and time it to see how long it takes for the bucket to fill. Myne came out to be 20sx3=1minx60min=1hr witch was the 900 gph i was looking for.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any info on that model, but I'd put it on your return pump if you have 2x holes in the tank for return lines plumb it on one, I'd put a by pass but definitely on the return lines not the drain, the drain line you don't have as much control on flow.

Then as far as flow hook a hose up to your return nozzle and fill up a 5 gallon bucket and do the math on how long it takes to fill up. If you put a valve before the uv you can dial the flow down if its to much.
One thing to note if you do It this way is that there's always supposed to be water in the unit while the bulb is on. So if you hit the feed mode and pumps shut off make sure it doesn't empty the uv while the bulb is lit.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note if you do It this way is that there's always supposed to be water in the unit while the bulb is on. So if you hit the feed mode and pumps shut off make sure it doesn't empty the uv while the bulb is lit.
Or a check valve could save you a little, but yes there are things to watch out for of course, but you should put an order of operation into play, step 1 turn off uv, step 2 put pump into feed mode.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still just really on the fence about this UV....this is my first big system in about 10 years and I'm trying to decide what is necessary out of the gate. I'll probably pull the trigger on it though. I plan on having more fish in this than I typically do and my experience with UV is that they do help somewhat.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still just really on the fence about this UV....this is my first big system in about 10 years and I'm trying to decide what is necessary out of the gate. I'll probably pull the trigger on it though. I plan on having more fish in this than I typically do and my experience with UV is that they do help somewhat.
Id say yes do it sooner than later I set up 2 tanks one I did u.v right away and the other I waited, the one I did right away is up and running the other is still in the closet, get it done now so it gets done, its hard to do anything to a system when its running smooth, I feel like when its up and running smooth its harder to interpret it, it puts a speed bump into the tank.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run uv and use a seperate pump that can control the flow.
You will want a different flow rate for say disease prevention vs clearing that last bit of cloudiness
once you pick a unit then pick you pump based off its table at 30000 and 60000 eol is how i run mine

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back