UV Sterilizer with Canister Filter?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All.

I'm looking to add a 40 watt UV sterilizer inline between my Fluval FX4 canister filter and the output head. My question is about the flow. The filter says it has an output of 700gph, but the max flow for protozoan control is 262gph.

Can the inline work, or do I need to come up with a way to make a closed-loop somehow? What's the best way to ensure I'm treating the most water effectively?

I appreciate any advice!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I'll test the gph out today and see where I'm at and go from there. I'll also play with reducing the in and out together to see the effect.

You're right on the spacing. I had planned to mount the UV on the outside of the cabinet so it's easy to get to for maintenance, so I will have the "droop loop."

As far as parts for the plumbing, what all should I have on my list?
You're using an FX4, so all the basic plumbing is there. You will need to hook up the return from the UV out (top) to the tank, and I prefer silicone tubing from the canister outlet to the UV in(bottom). BRS sells 1" silicone tubing...
1628533146610.png

You'll need 1" barb fittings and hose clamps if the UV doesn't already include them.

If you have any tight radius turns, try to use PVC elbows instead of forcing the tubing into a tight bend.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using an FX4, so all the basic plumbing is there. You will need to hook up the return from the UV out (top) to the tank, and I prefer silicone tubing from the canister outlet to the UV in(bottom). BRS sells 1" silicone tubing...
1628533146610.png

You'll need 1" barb fittings and hose clamps if the UV doesn't already include them.

If you have any tight radius turns, try to use PVC elbows instead of forcing the tubing into a tight bend.
Awesome! Thank you!

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to make a proper end on a cut Fluval hose, you can use silicone adhesive and glue these to end. The plastic hose must be clean and completely dry, and you must allow a minimum of 24-hours curing time for the silicone before returning it to service. It's a PITA thing to do, but sometimes necessary.

1628533751667.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to make a proper end on a cut Fluval hose, you can use silicone adhesive and glue these to end. The plastic hose must be clean and completely dry, and you must allow a minimum of 24-hours curing time for the silicone before returning it to service. It's a PITA thing to do, but sometimes necessary.

1628533751667.png
I literally bought those this morning, lol! I also got a replacement hose and input/outputs. I need to clean my old one out, so I bought a new set up so I have a set to use while the OG one is soaking (and in case I need something for the added hardware).

Upvote 0
Back