UV sterilizer without mechanical filtration?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason that you couldn't run a uv sterilizer without mechanical filtration? My aio makes me give up one of the 2 overflows for a uv sterilizer. The included sponge filter on top of it clogs within days. It's all particulate matter, nothing that would impede the flow of the sterilizer itself. Any reason I couldn't run it without the sponge, and rely on my sock in the other overflow chamber for mechanical filtration?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my sump tank, have no mechanical filtration apart from a skimmer- and I run a UV with good results :upside-down-face:

I do have a large refugium though that captures a lot of the particles- and the skimmer takes care of some as well. The UV is fed after the fuge and skimmer on the right hand side here.

1000001851.jpg

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my sump tank, have no mechanical filtration apart from a skimmer- and I run a UV with good results :upside-down-face:
See, my rear chamber looks like this

3293586685.jpg

I've thought about either running it without the sponge, or just dropping the uv bulb of the sterilizer in the second chamber, without it's plastic shroud. I could only find one other post, which advised against this, but not with a real reason for concern. I can't see how running in an overflow chamber, with what amounts to a plastic funnel, would be any different than just dropping the light in one of the second chambers.

My concern is build up or damage to the quartz shield on the light itself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back