Uv sterilizer

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How effective are these with controlling diseases and parasites? I'm going through an epidemic right now, coincidently when I started buying from a lfs rather than live Aquaria and my uv light died

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're better suited as a preventative measure and even that depends on having a properly sized sterilizer that has proper flow rate for contact time. i don't know how much effect one would have on an existing issue but i'm sure it can't hurt. best of luck.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How effective are these with controlling diseases and parasites? I'm going through an epidemic right now, coincidently when I started buying from a lfs rather than live Aquaria and my uv light died
Their effectiveness increases based on the size of the unit (the length of time the water is in contact with the bulb), strength of the bulb, and water clarity. No UV will totally eliminate the parasites but, properly sized, can help keep them in check. UV will only clean water that passes through the unit, which is why it cannot totally eliminate any infestation. For parasites you want the largest unit you can fit and afford, slowing down the water flowing through it to increase contact time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back