UV sterilizer

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to test out a UV sterilizer for dino's - I have an 112 gallon system - how many gallons per hour should I have for a tank of my size?

Thanks

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to test out a UV sterilizer for dino's - I have an 112 gallon system - how many gallons per hour should I have for a tank of my size?

Thanks
1000 to 1200 gfh for algae and 300 to 400 gph
most manufacturers have flow rates recommendations i recommend going as large as you can afford brother

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rates are based on the size & wattage of the UV unit not the tank size. The higher wattages can be run at higher flow rates which = higher tank turn over rates. Too small and it won't keep up with growth rates. Best to go by mfg suggestions and then maybe choose the next size up. UV only directly affects some dinos like Ostreopsis that heads into the water column at night.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rates are based on the size & wattage of the UV unit not the tank size. The higher wattages can be run at higher flow rates which = higher tank turn over rates. Too small and it won't keep up with growth rates. Best to go by mfg suggestions and then maybe choose the next size up. UV only directly affects some dinos like Ostreopsis that heads into the water column at night.
Thats the exact kind of Dinos that I have. Now i just gotta decide if its worth a few hundred dollars. thanks

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the exact kind of Dinos that I have. Now i just gotta decide if its worth a few hundred dollars. thanks
worth every penny brother best investment i run a massive 55watt sterilizer on my 100dt works wondersjust make sure you pipe it in a way you can control flow rate more oversized less critical the flow rates will be

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worth every penny brother best investment i run a massive 55watt sterilizer on my 100dt works wondersjust make sure you pipe it in a way you can control flow rate more oversized less critical the flow rates will be
Always wondered how UV would be on my reef as I seed phyto etc. I have an 85w that’s not being used on my pond. I’m sure that would be more than enough for my 120 DT, have you seen any negatives?

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered how UV would be on my reef as I seed phyto etc. I have an 85w that’s not being used on my pond. I’m sure that would be more than enough for my 120 DT, have you seen any negatives?
zero negatives on my system only negative would be not being about to control flow rates

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Aqua 25 watt for my 125 gal and cleared my dino's in no time. I did however reduce the flow rate suggested. I thought the 1000gph that basically was suggested was too much and read a lot of people suggested much lower. and behold all good!

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Aqua 25 watt for my 125 gal and cleared my dino's in no time. I did however reduce the flow rate suggested. I thought the 1000gph that basically was suggested was too much and read a lot of people suggested much lower. and behold all good!
Im running a 15w at 714gph on my 112 gallon. Hoping for good results

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run whatever GPH the UV mfg says for protozoans. What model is it? I'm pretty sure a 15w UV is gonna be a lot less than 700 GPH. My 40 watt Pentair recommends 157-262 GPH. The 18 watt Pentair says 37-60 GPH. It is pretty critical, if you run it too fast it won't be effective.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back