UV Sterilizers??? A Waste Or Worth It, Big & Small

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sterilizer is rated for like 200 gallons from that company. That seems like less then my 40watt aqua ultraviolet on my 500 . Care to elaborate
I'm not sure where you got that information from but I assure you the tmc 110 is rated for much more than 200 gallons.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know (don’t say 6 watts!! ) what differences there are between the Aqua UV 114W and 120w? I know the replacement bulbs are 2x 57w vs 3x 40w respectively.

For a 150 or so gallon system, is the “whatever one I can get cheaper” option the better one between these 2?

I found a good (I think) deal on the 120w

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know (don’t say 6 watts!! ) what differences there are between the Aqua UV 114W and 120w? I know the replacement bulbs are 2x 57w vs 3x 40w respectively.

For a 150 or so gallon system, is the “whatever one I can get cheaper” option the better one between these 2?

I found a good (I think) deal on the 120w
If you can get the 120 cheaper go with it. You could probably get away with an 80 on a 150 gallon system but it never hurts to go bigger.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to de rail this tread but if your looking at spending some loot and making a healthier environment, have you looked into ozone?

Long term it’s cheaper to run plus the benefits out way a uv sterilizer.

I had a sterilizer on my tank, went with ozone. Will never run another tank without it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sterilizer is rated for like 200 gallons from that company. That seems like less then my 40watt aqua ultraviolet on my 500 . Care to elaborate

What would you like me to elaborate on? If you check out the aquarium products website, you will see that the TMC110 has claimed usefulness up to 3,300 gallons. Now, I’d take that number with a degree of suspicion, but I see nowhere that it’s ‘rated’ for 200 gallons. Makes no sense actually. You will find that gallon ratings for all kinds of reef tank equipment are all over the place, so it does require a little sleuthing to try to equate one with another. With UV units, watts aren’t always directly comparable (depends a lot on the bulb) but all things equal, 110 is going to outperform 40. Maybe that’s what you mean by elaboration .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the 120 cheaper go with it. You could probably get away with an 80 on a 150 gallon system but it never hurts to go bigger.

Look at bulb replacement though. Are three 40s more than two 57s?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at bulb replacement though. Are three 40s more than two 57s?
That's true too. The 3 40 bulbs will be more than 2 57s and the strangest thing is that a 40 quartz sleeve is more expensive than a 57.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210g was plagued with ich and then velvet that made it through QT. I bought a TMC 110w pond sterilizer. I saw a difference in 2 days with all signs of disease in my tank full of tangs (achillies, powder blue, blue, convict, purple) gone within 2 weeks. I’ll never have a tank without one again. This is the one I got. Around $400. Saved me more than that by saving my fish. I literally have not seen one spot of ich or velvet since the first 2 weeks after install. Been around 6 months now. I run mine 24/7.

E67A5997-2CA8-4B8A-9257-F7331C4FBC44.png

Last edited:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran a UV, since 1995. Haven’t had outbreaks of anything and water is always clear and teeming with many visible and invisible beneficial microfauna.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you like me to elaborate on? If you check out the aquarium products website, you will see that the TMC110 has claimed usefulness up to 3,300 gallons. Now, I’d take that number with a degree of suspicion, but I see nowhere that it’s ‘rated’ for 200 gallons. Makes no sense actually. You will find that gallon ratings for all kinds of reef tank equipment are all over the place, so it does require a little sleuthing to try to equate one with another. With UV units, watts aren’t always directly comparable (depends a lot on the bulb) but all things equal, 110 is going to outperform 40. Maybe that’s what you mean by elaboration .

Where do you order your replacement bulbs from?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran a UV, since 1995. Haven’t had outbreaks of anything and water is always clear and teeming with many visible and invisible beneficial microfauna.

Impressive to go that long without a disease outbreak. My tank still has loads of pods since adding the UV. Enough to support 2 mandarins, a choati leopard wrasse, potters leopard wrasse, a radiant wrasse and a black leopard wrasse. I’m sure the UV kills some beneficial things but it’s definitely worth the trade off, for me at least.

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suffering from bacterial blooms and recurrent ich on my 120 for a month. I put on an 11 watt oase UV clarifier as an emergency measure in the hope it helped, at the slowest recommended flow rate for the unit. I wasn't expecting anything really to happen after watching the BRS video but could not source a bigger unit where I am. The next day the tank was crystal clear and the ich has reduced significantly. So much so I have not seen a spots on any fish since installing. So I will keep the unit running.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to de rail this tread but if your looking at spending some loot and making a healthier environment, have you looked into ozone?

Long term it’s cheaper to run plus the benefits out way a uv sterilizer.

I had a sterilizer on my tank, went with ozone. Will never run another tank without it.

I have no idea on cost/function of these. Do you have one you’d recommend?

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast mutiny v2

Everyone that has one loves it.
and a large air dryer from BRS.

Getting way off topic, but the price is certainly right...... I am just wondering about what all it does.

Water Clarity, yes.... Algae and disease control? I know a sterilizer isn’t a magic wand to prevent disease, and certainly not cure, but does an ozone generator do anything other than clear water? I don’t have dinos etc. But it’s my understanding that a sterilizer can wipe them out pretty successfully

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting way off topic, but the price is certainly right...... I am just wondering about what all it does.

Water Clarity, yes.... Algae and disease control? I know a sterilizer isn’t a magic wand to prevent disease, and certainly not cure, but does an ozone generator do anything other than clear water? I don’t have dinos etc. But it’s my understanding that a sterilizer can wipe them out pretty successfully

OP
OP
Jesmann

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The tmc 110 seems very under powered for saltwater compared to aqua ultraviolet and emporor. Just from doing quick research . Seems to only be reccomend for saltwater tanks max of 265 gallons i emailed tmc just out of curiosity aswell.

Not trying to start a heated debate just trying to gain more knowledge.

Screenshot_20190925-135813_Chrome.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back